Phono connection for 970?

Posted by: Beermoney

Phono connection for 970? - 09/18/06 09:44 AM

I know the 970 does not have a phono jack but I was wondering if there was any way to connect one. I have rediscovered LPs and have recently bought a few that I did not get the first time around.

I would really appreciate any idea you might have.

Thanks,
Posted by: gonk

Re: Phono connection for 970? - 09/18/06 10:21 AM

All you need is a phono pre-amp (either MM or MC, depending on the cartridge you have on your turntable) and you can use any of the 970's analog stereo inputs. I'd recommend using the analog bypass mode with whatever input you connect the phono pre-amp to. Some vinyl users around here may have some good specific recommendations for affordable phono pre-amps. Examples of phono pre-amps include these at Audio Advisor , various used ones at Audiogon , and a wide range of prices at Music Direct .
Posted by: Beermoney

Re: Phono connection for 970? - 09/18/06 11:11 AM

Excellent! Thanks gonk.
Posted by: Videodrome

Re: Phono connection for 970? - 09/18/06 11:23 AM

I personally use the Rolls Bellari VP129, which is a tube-based phono stage. Do a search and you'll see several dealers for the product as well as some glowing reviews. (You can also pop over to audioasylum.com in the vinyl forum for user opinions.) I really like mine and highly recommend it to anyone with a 970 who has an interest in LPs. Before my 970, I was using a Conrad Johnson PV8, which is no slouch in the phono section, and in many ways I prefer the Bellari.