Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#76603 - 12/02/08 08:32 PM 970 connection/operation questions
tntarheel Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tennessee Hills
I just sold my 950 and got the 970 on BF sale for essentially 50 bucks. I am running the 970 as I did the 950. I WILL have 5.1 and HDTV after Christmas but now it is essentially a stereo pre and svideo switcher.

My problems are:

1- I'm using the monitor out" to send program material back to the TV. Video works fine- but audio volume is barely present & unusable. (Note the audio signal to amp is fine).
2- The only exception to the above is that my "Video 1" setting is a VCR. The video signal is wavy & B & W. DVD, Cable box, iPod video all work OK.
3- The 12 volt trigger to the 750 no longer works.

Thanks as always for any advice.

#76604 - 12/03/08 07:50 PM Re: 970 connection/operation questions
dvenardos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Quote:
Originally posted by tntarheel:
My problems are:

1- I'm using the monitor out" to send program material back to the TV. Video works fine- but audio volume is barely present & unusable. (Note the audio signal to amp is fine).
2- The only exception to the above is that my "Video 1" setting is a VCR. The video signal is wavy & B & W. DVD, Cable box, iPod video all work OK.

Thanks as always for any advice.
How are you getting the audio to the TV, a splitter cable on the preamp out?
Why don't you use your amp/stereo speakers when listening to TV instead of the TVs internal speakers?

Have you tried switching cables, maybe you have a bad one?

Never had a problem with my trigger...

#76605 - 12/03/08 09:54 PM Re: 970 connection/operation questions
tntarheel Offline
Gunslinger

I am using the "monitor out" sections L/R & S-Vid outputs.

The TV speakers is just for those late night moments to watch DVD or VHS w/o amp/pre/speakers

The (heavy duty monster) RCA cables were just fine prior to removing the 950, installing the 970 but I'll give that a shot. BTW- the "video" problem with Video 1 above WAS just dirty heads! What a coincidence that it occurred when I switched units though.

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried 2 mini plug cables for trigger & neither one works.

#76606 - 12/04/08 04:22 AM Re: 970 connection/operation questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
I'm not sure quite how the monitor out left/right channels work on the 970, but I would expect them to be affected by the processor's volume control - at which point, you would have two volume controls in series, which would likely present itself as you describe.
Quote:
Just to be sure - is the trigger cable going to the trigger output and not to one of the IR ports?

#76607 - 12/04/08 04:42 AM Re: 970 connection/operation questions
tntarheel Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Quote:
I'm not sure quite how the monitor out left/right channels work on the 970, but I would expect them to be affected by the processor's volume control - at which point, you would have two volume controls in series, which would likely present itself as you describe.

hmmm.... good point. let me rethink this. I wish to have multiple audio/video outputs (e.g "program"sources") from the 970 routed to the TV's A/V input so as to have low volume at kiddies' bedtime/naptime.

Quote:
Just to be sure - is the trigger cable going to the trigger output and not to one of the IR ports?
yep. I suspected that too, but double checked, switched cables too. Weird. Thanks so much!

"Scott" is on the case as well.

#76608 - 12/04/08 04:55 AM Re: 970 connection/operation questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
hmmm.... good point. let me rethink this. I wish to have multiple audio/video outputs (e.g "program"sources") from the 970 routed to the TV's A/V input so as to have low volume at kiddies' bedtime/naptime.
I'll offer my standard advise: being able to use a TV's speakers independent of a home theater system is a nice idea in concept but a significant pain (both for wiring and operationally) in practice. If the 970 had a second zone, you could do it, but you would have to run stereo analog connections from each source to enable this. As for bedtime and naptime, have you compared "night mode" at a modest volume level to using the TV's speakers? It might offer the same reduced volume levels you are looking for without the compromises and headaches of changing which speakers you use.

#76609 - 12/04/08 04:51 PM Re: 970 connection/operation questions
tntarheel Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Quote:
I'll offer my standard advise: being able to use a TV's speakers independent of a home theater system is a nice idea in concept but a significant pain (both for wiring and operationally) in practice. If the 970 had a second zone, you could do it, but you would have to run stereo analog connections from each source to enable this. As for bedtime and naptime, have you compared "night mode" at a modest volume level to using the TV's speakers? It might offer the same reduced volume levels you are looking for without the compromises and headaches of changing which speakers you use.
thanks so much again. Advice taken. now if i could just get the trigger to work. maybe some combo of powering down, unplugging, re setting could work. I'll experiment this weekend.

#76610 - 12/04/08 07:35 PM Re: 970 connection/operation questions
tntarheel Offline
Gunslinger

What I have as a solution at the moment tis simply this.

970 Video 1 analog L/R out feed the TV line in L/R as the VCR in Video 1 is used as playback only.

But I do have 2 other oddball effects I've noticed:
1) Master settings such as crossover on L/R mains and the surround mode get lost and have to be reset often. E.g. crossover set at 40 hz for my Monitor Audio RS6 mains will occasionally show up as 100hz!

2) Surround mode is set to stereo but will often default back into Dolby PLIIx+C?

The audio feed for Video 2 is the Motorola cable box and the input level seems WAY low compared to other devices/inputs. More switching etc. to troubleshoot.

#76611 - 12/04/08 07:58 PM Re: 970 connection/operation questions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
970 Video 1 analog L/R out feed the TV line in L/R as the VCR in Video 1 is used as playback only.
This is a good solution, but be aware that if you find some sources not working (no audio) you should check to see if they have an analog audio connection to the 970. In some cases - and I'm not sure if the 970 is one of them - the record out only works with analog inputs.

How do you "mute" the main speakers when you watch TV with the TV's speakers? Do you manually turn off the amp, or do you mute the 970?
Quote:
But I do have 2 other oddball effects I've noticed:
1) Master settings such as crossover on L/R mains and the surround mode get lost and have to be reset often. E.g. crossover set at 40 hz for my Monitor Audio RS6 mains will occasionally show up as 100hz!

2) Surround mode is set to stereo but will often default back into Dolby PLIIx+C?
Odd. It's reverting to what I think are the defaults. Might ask Outlaw support about that one if nobody else around here has any suggestions.
Quote:
The audio feed for Video 2 is the Motorola cable box and the input level seems WAY low compared to other devices/inputs. More switching etc. to troubleshoot.
The cable box probably has its own volume control. You might check to see if it has gotten turned down.

Where in the hills are you, tntarheel? I was on the Cumberland Plateau just yesterday (Sewanee).

#76612 - 12/04/08 08:45 PM Re: 970 connection/operation questions
tntarheel Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for all the advice & expertise man-

I usually (via the Harmony remote) hust turn down the vol from the pre/pro

Yes- it does seem that the 970 is defaulting to factory settings.

I'll check that cable box- it has wierded out before (SAP, matrix, etc.)

I'm in Jonesborough (Johnson City). Sewanee is certainly a beautiful area, is that where you reside?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 309 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM