Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#76213 - 06/22/07 07:59 PM Surge Protection
DaveWoj Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ft Johnson, NY
I'd like some recommendations if any that actually work for cable TV and broadband internet surge protection.
I've had 2 lightning strikes within 13 months that have done over $4,000 in damage to Home Theatre and Computer equipment. I installed Zerosurge Protectors (Non MOV Type) after the first strike 12 months ago. The other day I was home before a storm came and unplugged the Home Theatre and Computer but failed to unplug the cable lines and those are what fried an Adcom amp (left Channel) and my modem, motherboard, router and Vonage adapter.
I've been told that there isn't much that can be done with a lightning strike that close to protect equipment through the cable.
It also took out another TV, three thermostats, water heater control, garage door opener and misc GFI outlets and fan switches.
I'm still trying to figure out how it got to my amp. The cable was hooked to my plasma. Out of the plasma were my component cables going to the DVD player and left and right audio going to my 970 tuner. A 6 channel Adcom amp and a 2 channel Adcom amp were hooked to the 970. Only the 2 channel was affected. It seemed to pass through the TV and the 970 as far as I can tell.
I'd appreciate any feedback or opinions regarding everyone's experience with surge protection on their components and if they actually work. I've been told that 99.9% of electrical surge protection is junk if they are MOV type. That is why I got rid of the tripplites and purchased the Zerosurge.
By the way, when I was exchanging my cable modem the Time Warner girl said that they had many returns with equipment from the storm. Makes me think that cable is very surge prone.
Thanks guys!

#76214 - 06/22/07 08:11 PM Re: Surge Protection
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's real hard to cope with the power involved in a direct lightning strike - it's just too much power and too sudden. The best bet might be to use something with a good insurance policy that includes coax and phone connections so that in the event of a direct strike the equipment downstream would at least be covered by the surge protector's insurance.

Large buildings cope with the threat of lightning damage by employing lightning protection (either the old Franklin-style or some newer devices from companies like Prevectron that can protect a large area with a single collector). Unless you are in a location that really invites lightning strikes, I doubt such a system would be cost effective for a house.

#76215 - 06/25/07 04:24 PM Re: Surge Protection
DaveWoj Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk for the reply. I am going to have a whole house protector installed along with a lightning arrestor but today I ordered a couple of coax (gas filled tube) surge lightning'surge protectors to install where my cable comes in. I'm hoping that will solve the cable problem.

#76216 - 06/25/07 04:30 PM Re: Surge Protection
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Sounds like a good plan, DaveWoj.

#76217 - 06/25/07 09:03 PM Re: Surge Protection
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Geez Dave, my heart goes out to you. What a terrible stroke of luck!

Currently, I'm using a pair of old Adcom ACE 515s for protection on the audio gear as well as a Furman product for the plasma. I have a cable signal amplifier that, I believe, also has some surge protection. I've also used a small surge protector from Radio Shack that goes between the cable line and the TV that looks like this: http://www.pccables.com/02404.htm

The Adcoms have a lot of years on them and have faithfully protected my equipment. That said, I don't think I've ever taken a hit as severe as you've expereinced. So I guess the real test (thank God) has not been wrought upon me.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#76218 - 06/26/07 07:13 PM Re: Surge Protection
DaveWoj Offline
Gunslinger

Yes, that's what I had connected before my TV. For some reason, it still let something through the TV, the 970 and into my amp.
The gas tube in those I believe blow at 50V. Apparently mine didn't. When they go I'm assuming the signal is gone and that didn't happen.
I'm actually hoping the amp costs too much to fix. I'd get a replacement with my insurance claim.

#76219 - 07/05/07 10:44 PM Re: Surge Protection
cheebs Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Guatemala
In my experience, and living in a lightning-rich country, Panamax has given me the best results so far.
I too installed a whole-house protector (Primax), and have protectors on ALL incoming lines: coax, data, telephone and power.

Aside from that, at my HT location I installed a MAX-5500 EX, which has a very nice isolation transformer in addition to the normal surge protection. Coax, data and telephone lines go thru the 5500 as well in that location, so there they have double protection.

I have never had any sort of problem with any of my connected equipment, but still Panamax offers an excellent replacement guarantee for all connected gear, plus a lifetime warranty for the protectors themselves. They will be replaced at any authorized dealer, no questions asked, for as long as you own the product.
Outlaw 970 * Adcom GFA 7000 * Musical Fidelity X10v3 * Pioneer DV-45A * Cambridge Audio Azur 640 v2 CDP * DirecTV HR-20 * Onix R-DES sub eq * Magnepan MG12/MMGC/SS1 * 2x MartinLogan Grotto subs * Optoma RD50 DLP * Panamax 5500EX * Harmony 1000 remote

Who's Online
0 registered (), 348 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM