Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#75494 - 08/10/06 03:49 PM dual video output?
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
Sorry if this is a silly question, I don't have the means to test this easily at the moment.

Can the 970 output the same video signal to two devices simultaneously? For example DVI and S-Video.

I am finishing my home theatre and was contemplating adding a smaller LCD monitor on top of the equipment rack so I can monitor the DVD and use the 970's on-screen menu without having to switch my main screen to S-video.

I am also planning on building a home-theatre PC into my system and would like to take advantage of the extra monitor.

Is this possible?

#75495 - 08/10/06 04:03 PM Re: dual video output?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There may be some possibilities here, although without a 970 in hand I can only theorize. Basically, though, I believe that this is possible with the proper wiring.

The DVI output is purely a DVI pass-through, so to have both DVI output and s-video monitor output active at once you'd need to have both DVI and s-video signals connected to that specific input. Likewise, if your source is component video, you won't get any composite or s-video monitor output unless you also have a composite or s-video signal connected (since the 970 doesn't transcode down from component to s-video and composite). That means that to have an s-video cable run to your little LCD monitor and have it getting a signal no matter what input is active, you'd need to make sure that you have a composite or s-video cable run from each video source - even if the source in question is using a component or DVI connection to the 970 for the signal going to the main display. This matches very nicely with the video signal path description on page 16 of the 970's manual, so what I describe should work!

#75496 - 08/11/06 01:43 PM Re: dual video output?
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
Thanks gonk, that does make sense. I'll have to surgically remove my son's TV when he is not playing video games to give this a test.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 303 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM