Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#76206 - 06/20/07 06:28 PM A different PLII issue - any ideas???
peteh Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX
When I use PLII-C or PLIIx-C on my DirecTV recevier I get a strange distortion sound in my front mains and my surrounds? Front mains are set to large and surrounds are set to small and crossed over at 80Hz - however, the distortion is present with fronts set to small and crossed over at any crossover setting and with any setting in the surrounds.

The sat receiver is connected with a brand new Cobalt Cables optical digital cable and with a pair of Cobalt Cable analog interconnects. I typically use the Optical input, but the distortion is present with either.

Strangely, when I change to PLII-M or PLIIx-M, the distortion disappears. I have not tried PLII-X or PLIIx-X yet to see what the distortion does.

I have reset the sat recevier a few times, and I have done a full system reset on the 970 and I have the upgraded software in the 970. I have not tried to play a DVD with PLII-C or PLIIx-C processing.

So... any ideas?

Cheers,

PeteH

#76207 - 06/20/07 06:42 PM Re: A different PLII issue - any ideas???
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't run into this before, so I can't offer much useful. The only two thoughts that occur to me are questions. Does this distortion occur when no Pro Logic II/IIx processing is applied? What are your Pro Logic II settings (which are applied to PLII/IIx-Music but not to -Cinema)?

#76208 - 06/20/07 06:54 PM Re: A different PLII issue - any ideas???
peteh Offline
Gunslinger

I'm not sure I uderstand what you are asking in the second question - but I think the answer is: I have Video 3 set up to use PLII-C, but I usually change it to M to avoid the distortion; the inputs are Optical 1 and Video 3 analog; I don't use PLII/IIx for any other source.

For the other - yeah, I also have the distorion with Neo6 processing. It leads me to think it's the source, but why only with PLII-C/IIx-C???

#76209 - 06/21/07 01:23 PM Re: A different PLII issue - any ideas???
gonk Offline
Desperado

The second question relates to some settings that are in the SURROUND CONFIG menu: Panorama, Dimension, and Center Width are all settings that relate to how Pro Logic IIx-Music behaves. My (admittedly slightly crazy) idea is that perhaps these settings are such that there is less matrix processing taking place for a stereo signal under PLIIx-M than under PLIIx-C or NEO:6. The NEO:6 Center setting (also in the SURROUND CONFIG menu) could also factor into that.

The fact that it also happens with NEO:6 is certainly curious. What happens when you just use plain stereo?

#76210 - 06/22/07 02:38 PM Re: A different PLII issue - any ideas???
peteh Offline
Gunslinger

plain stereo and 5 Stereo work fine... none of the distortion...

the "Surround Config" settings you mention are all at the factory settings... I've never changed them...

#76211 - 06/22/07 02:58 PM Re: A different PLII issue - any ideas???
gonk Offline
Desperado

Does this happen with other two-channel digital sources (DVD's or CD's), or is it just the DirecTV?

#76212 - 06/23/07 12:42 PM Re: A different PLII issue - any ideas???
peteh Offline
Gunslinger

yeah, gonk... I'm thinking it's the source - maybe my sat recevier is having some internal issue...

I can play music from my Phatnoise home player (connected via an Outlaw coaxial digital cable) in any PLII/IIx format, and DTS Neo format and I don't have the distortion

Today (Saturday, so I have time to tinker) I'm planning to makes some connection changes.... maybe I have a loose connection somewhere...

Who's Online
0 registered (), 282 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM