Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#75557 - 09/08/06 01:54 PM New equipment review
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Over the past couple of weeks I've added a lot of new equipment in a new viewing area. I purchased the following:

Outlaw 970
Outlaw 7125
Outlaw LFM1
Denon 1930ci
Sony 50" KDS-50A2000
Dish HD DVR
Numerous cables

I took me a while to get everything and hook it up hence the reason for the delay. I think I've finally gotten to the point where I can give a quick evaluation of everything.

I got the TV first, and anything would have been a step up from a 1986 20" Toshiba tube tv. It still worked, but looking at it in the corner before I put it in storage made it look pretty pitiful. The Sony looks great, and while a LCD or plasma still has the cool look due to it being flat, the picture on this 1080p TV is great. I would caution those who haven't ventured into the world of big TVs yet, that SD (standard definition) will not look too great. You will see that the quality, while still the same coming in now looks not so great. This is due to moving up in size. HD is a must on a big TV, and I like it.

Outlaw stuff - Once I got all my cables and was able to hook up my 970 & 7125 things looked very nice indeed. The 970 has been reviewed extensively by others, but I can say that I like the clean look of it and once I spent a little time with it I am very pleased with it's operation. The sound is excellent for both movies and audio.

Any complaints? Initially I thought I might be suffering from some of the "no audio" issues, but now I haven't had it happen in the past few sessions so I may be in the clear. I'm running HDMI cables from both my Dish DVR and my Denon DVD player with toslink audio cables going to the 970. I do wish that the Outlaw's menu did not require me switching to another input to view the settings, and in a perfect world, HDMI v3 would be nice. Since that's not out yet, I can't complain about that. The code for the Denon DVD player doesn't work as Denon has apparently changed discrete codes, but I'm working on finding the correct code.

The 7125 powers my speakers with ease (Vandersteen 2c in front and B&W 302 in rear. The 7125 is a beast and I couldn't be happier.

Speaking of beast, the LFM1 is probably larger that I envisioned, and I couldn't be more impressed with how seamlessly it incorporates into my system. It is very musical and never lacks for bass response... and I only have it set to about 1/2 volume.

That's about it for now. The 970,7125 & LFM1 really work well together and I would highly recommend these to anyone considering an upgrade.

I've got a 1050 upstairs in my den, and the difference in power is substantial. Having a separate power amp has always been something that I'm in favor of, and I don't think that there is a receiver around that can play in the same league as the 7125 in terms of power. I can't imagine how the 7500 or 7700 must be in terms of power. I was initially worried that 125wpc might not be enough, but I am very pleased.

#75558 - 09/08/06 07:40 PM Re: New equipment review
kjl Offline
Gunslinger

Glad you like the Outlaw equipment. What about the Denon 1930CI? Does it work well, sound good, picture look good?

#75559 - 09/09/06 11:41 PM Re: New equipment review
ralittle2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I like my Denon 1930ci although I really an not a videophile and can't A/B it against another competitor.

The video quality is very good, but with all the new equipment I have, and since I was replacing a very old Panasonic unit I'm afraid I can't offer any advice.

I bought it because I didn't want any more Panasonics - one was not great from the get-go, and I had another die at a little under two years.

The fact that it was a universal player (SACD & DVD-A) ,had an HDMI and was a 1080P unit at a reasonable price sold me.

#75560 - 09/10/06 07:12 PM Re: New equipment review
billyTHEkid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: PAP Haiti
the 1930ci is good. its a scaled down 2910 except it does 1080p. as far as sound, its not bad at all. you should take advantage of its ability to do the picture adjustments in the dvd player its self. it has the same DAC as the 2910 is you are into that.

If you are really really into picture and sound quality, get a 2930 or 3930. If I were to change my 2910 now it would only be for a 3930, not blueray or hddvd. the 3930 upconverts so well that it is difficult to see a difference between it and the hddvd player playing a hddvd.

I am really happy with my 2910. If price is an issue and you are interested in a new player, try to find a 2910 at a cheap price or get the 1930ci.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 356 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM