help with recessed lighting fixture vibration

Posted by: Fredneck

help with recessed lighting fixture vibration - 07/30/08 04:38 PM

I like to listen to music and movies very loud. I have Axiom speakers and an Outlaw LFM 1EX sub, run with a 990/7500. It does play loud, which I like, but I have a few recessed lighting fixtures in my HT that have a "wall washer" insert in them (to direct the light onto the wall, not straight down). Anyway, they are essentially just half-moon shaped metal plates that cover the light opening. They free float in the light opening so they can be turned to adjust the path of the light. When I really crank thinks up, the metal cover vibrates and starts to spin around. The result is a buzzing sound that is quite annoying. I would try jamming some foam up there or something to dampen the vibration, but the light gets pretty hot and I wouldn't want to create a fire hazzard. Of course, one solution would be to turn down the sound, but I don't want to do that eek

Any suggestions?
Posted by: gonk

Re: help with recessed lighting fixture vibration - 07/30/08 05:14 PM

I've got a couple possibly crazy thoughts...

I might try getting some thin armaflex or other insulation material from the hardware store and cutting it up a bit into pieces that could be good wedges. We put armaflex on pipes carrying 200 degree water, so I'd think it would be comfortable a couple inches from an incandescent bulb. Another thought (not having taken apart a wall-washer recently) would be to pull the trim off the can light and use a few sheet metal screws or something to affix the aperture to the frame so it can wander and vibrate, but I don't know if that'll work structurally and it will make it effectively impossible to adjust your aiming later.
Posted by: Fredneck

Re: help with recessed lighting fixture vibration - 07/30/08 05:24 PM

Both excellent suggestions. Thanks gonk!
Posted by: gonk

Re: help with recessed lighting fixture vibration - 07/31/08 02:30 AM

Glad to help. Hope you get the lights under control soon.