I just upgraded my KEF Q speaker system to the XQ speakers last week. I got a really great deal from an authorized dealer on the XQ5, XQ1 and XQ2C models. I did a lot of research on these models especially on the XQ5 model since I still enjoy listening to good old stereo using the stereo bypass on the 950. I didn't care much for the sound stage on my Q5's and I read only great reviews on the XQ5. I audition the XQ5 at a local dealer and compared them to Paradigm Ref, Def Tech's and Klipsch around the same price range. As a Kef owner for the past 20 years, I've become accoustomed to the KEF sound.

I set up the speakers in the same locations as the previous speakers and balanced the speakers on my 950. I'm still using my LFM-1 as my sub. I also added some acoustic panels based on the DIY thread I read recently. I started with 28 sft of panels as a start in a room 13x18x8. I added a 2x2 4" panel behind the sub and added the other 2" panels at the first reflection point and also on the opposite wall. I also plan to add panels behind the front speakers if necessary. The front speakers are 2-1/2' from the back and side walls.

Well I started playing these speakers last weekend and I was both disappointed and excited at the same time. I first listened to the XQ5 in stereo. I noticed a big difference in the sound stage and the bass blew me away, but it was also overwhelming. The bass became annoying and the mids and uppers were harsh. The sound wasn't as annoying at low volumes but you can't get their full range at that level. The louder the volume, the more the harshness and the boomier the bass became. I'm not one for a lot of bass and I even keep the bass down on my sub.

I know there are different break-in periods for speakers so I called KEF and they recommended 30 to 40 hours at a medium volume. I also read a review that states these speakers become smoother after the break-in. I haven't run the speakers for that time period yet since I've been busy this past week.

I'm wondering if these speakers are too powerful for my room size? Do I need more acoustic panels without ruining the aesthetics of the room?

I thought of returning these speakers and keeping the old Q series. I can surely use any suggestions?

Thanks, Ron.