I have just invested in a really cool TV, the Samsung HLN50. The picture is totally awesome . . .with everything but the standard feeds from DirecTV. The HD stuff is amazingly wonderful and the pictures I get from the DVI (and the component!) when watching movies are just absolutely stunning. However, the normal feeds from the DirecTV stations are not that crisp and clear. I can’t seem to understand why. I would expect the pictures to be less ‘fuzzy’ for lack of a better word. I would not expect them to be as clear as the pictures I get on my 36 inch/4:3 tube monitor, but much better than what I get now. Since there are no “guns” for this set, I don’t think calling in one of the ISF guys would help me out here.

Is there something I need to be doing other than the following?
- DirecTV receiver connected via the component out to the HLN50
- 16:9 aspect ratios selected in all the places it is referred to – no zoom modes or stretch modes selected
- 3LNB sat used with much shorter cable runs than older dish (picture on older dish as about the same)

I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight or help with my aggrevation. Here is a short list of equipment in the video rack and thanks for any pointers.
TV/Monitor - HLN50/Samsung
Direct TV HDTV Receiver - SIR-TS160/Samsung
DVD Player - DVD-HD931/Samsung
Cables – Tributaries for component connects from receiver to tv
Cables – Monster for DVI from DVD player to tv
Power – Panamax ACRegenerator 5510

------------------
phatlac