1070 Firmware update

Posted by: Ranger1000

1070 Firmware update - 01/14/06 08:34 AM

I upgraded the firmware on my 1070 and it seems like the front pre-outs have more gain than they did prior to the update. Anyone else notice this?
Posted by: John Galt

Re: 1070 Firmware update - 01/15/06 04:55 PM

Hey Ranger,

I hadn't noticed that, I only use the sub pre-out. However, I did notice the analog inputs seem to be somewhat louder.

Re: 1070 Firmware update - 01/15/06 05:50 PM

That could be it also, things just seem louder after the update at the same channel and volume levels than I used prior to the update.
Posted by: Mark Levine, D.C.

Re: 1070 Firmware update - 01/21/06 05:18 PM

Can the update be performed through a USB to Serial converter? My newer laptop does not have serial ports.

Mark

Re: 1070 Firmware update - 01/21/06 05:42 PM

The instructions say not to do that.
Posted by: Mark Levine, D.C.

Re: 1070 Firmware update - 01/22/06 08:19 PM

Thanks I understand the instructions, what I was looking for is a way to update the unit without having to move it to my desktop thus saving an hour or more of work. I am a Beta tester for an unrelated company (Uniden Corp) and our software engineers recommend using a serial port, though a quality USB -> Serial converter works fine in updating our hardware and running the software control(Uniden Corp.) I'd appreciate hearing from an Outlaw rep or someone that has performed the update successfully on a USB only computer. I'd need a 50' or 60' serial cable otherwise (and I think Serial has its length limitations).

Mark
Posted by: Doug917

Re: 1070 Firmware update - 01/22/06 09:54 PM

Looks like you now have the perfect excuse to buy a laptop laugh .
Posted by: nik,martin

Re: 1070 Firmware update - 01/23/06 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug917:
Looks like you now have the perfect excuse to buy a laptop laugh .
My IBM Thinkpad has USB, and that God-Aweful parallel port that IBM is so proud of, but no serial ports, so the USB dongle us my only choice. eek
Posted by: jlib

Re: 1070 Firmware update - 03/01/06 04:37 AM

It is most likely a generic CYA disclaimer. Maybe 8 years ago USB support was a bit shaky but there is generally no problem using quality adapters. Get something with a FTDI UART chipset. Look at this note from DVDO regarding what they recommend for creating a terminal connection for updating their firmware: http://www.dvdo.com/update/update_usb.php

So, unless Outlaw specifically says FTDI based USB adapters are incompatible with their serial port (in which case it would be a non-standard implementation) I think it is safe to say it was just a generic warning.
Posted by: Owl's_Warder

Re: 1070 Firmware update - 03/01/06 03:32 PM

You can also get serial PCMCIA cards. I personally haven't had or heard of any problems using those for any application. Of course, since I posted that here for God and country to read, I'm sure that SOMEone will be able to make a liar out of me. wink
Posted by: Ragnar

Re: 1070 Firmware update - 03/01/06 05:52 PM

Mark,
My laptop only has USB. I used a USB to serial adapter twice with no problems.
Thanks,
Ragnar