Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#73362 - 01/05/08 06:01 PM To Standby or not to Standby
squebel Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I've always wondered if it is better to leave an amp powered on when you're not using it or put it in Standby. The power consumption difference between the modes is pretty significant if I remember correctly from the manual, but what is better for the unit? Better to keep more juice running through it and keep things warm or is Standby just as good?

#73363 - 01/06/08 04:09 PM Re: To Standby or not to Standby
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
Good question from squebel.

Here's another: How about totally powering it down?
Problems?
Better?
Worse?

Long-term?
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#73364 - 01/06/08 05:23 PM Re: To Standby or not to Standby
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I don’t know what type of capacitors are used in Outlaw amplifier power supplies, but there is a known, slow deterioration of the dielectric in wet electrolytic capacitors when they spend long periods of time (read months) in a discharged state. Having the capacitor charged on a regular basis prevents this particular deterioration, it doesn't have to be continuously on. Conservative power supply design takes into account that capacitors will not always perform to their maximum capability and that some small current leakage and temperature build-up will occur. When the design allows for this, then the rated performance of the power supply will still be available even if some aging occurs. Basically, don’t worry, trust the very capable amplifier designers.

Stand-by versus total shut down: usually a stand-by mode allows a monitoring/switching circuit to remain normally powered while the rest of the unit is fully powered down. When a trigger voltage or command from a remote is received, then the rest of the unit is powered up. Usually the higher-power portion of the unit is fully shut down even in stand by, so, for these power circuits, there is no difference between being in ‘stand-by’ or having the unit fully shut off. Two questions: for regular use, do you want the unit to respond to an external command, or do you want to physically turn it on? If all users are going to be absent for many days, on a trip for instance, do you wish to physically disconnect your system from the electrical system and from any other external wiring, such as satellite, cable, or telephone lines, so that in the event of some freakish power event or lightning strike your system components are isolated (unless they are directly hit)?

#73365 - 01/06/08 05:46 PM Re: To Standby or not to Standby
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
In response
bestbang4thebuck
wrote

Two questions: for regular use, do you want the unit to respond to an external command, or do you want to physically turn it on? If all users are going to be absent for many days, on a trip for instance, do you wish to physically disconnect your system from the electrical system and from any other external wiring, such as satellite, cable, or telephone lines, so that in the event of some freakish power event or lightning strike your system components are isolated (unless they are directly hit)?

Of course when we are away I disconnect everything from the mains, including all electronic equipment , TVs etc.

I was specifically asking about overnight. For example when we hit the hay I have been powering down the entire rack of equipment (via the Monster Conditioner button) and powering it on in the morning. Thoughts? I'm not sure it matters, just wondering.
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#73366 - 01/08/08 08:52 PM Re: To Standby or not to Standby
Lizard King Offline
Desperado

Loc: NY
Standby!
HSU VTF-2 Mk2 sub x2
VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp
ARC SP16-L tube Preamp
Audio Note Dac 2.1 "B" signature
Furutech E-TP80,
Ascend HTM-200, 340C
Sony KDS-55A2020

#73367 - 01/08/08 09:03 PM Re: To Standby or not to Standby
Altec Offline
Desperado

From the amplifier's perspective, it does not really mattter since the standby and main amplifier electronics are independent, with the standby portion only controlling the main power to the amplifier section. You won't hurt anything by powering down completely, the only downside being having to turn the main power back on.

#73368 - 01/18/08 05:40 PM Re: To Standby or not to Standby
curriergroh Offline
Gunslinger

I shut down everything in my apartment except the furnace, stove, and refrigerator except when I use them. Most devices are on power conditioners or surge protectors and the others I just unplug. I've been doing this for about 6 months and the difference in utility bills is substantial.

Check the last issue of Good magazine for a chart of average electricity use for various appliances.

#73369 - 03/04/08 12:04 AM Re: To Standby or not to Standby
97db Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis MO.
I went through this also...after a lot of research I did...I leave them on!!

#73370 - 03/04/08 05:02 PM Re: To Standby or not to Standby
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by curriergroh:
...the difference in utility bills is substantial...
Not to mention the difference it contributes to the environment!

#73371 - 03/04/08 05:07 PM Re: To Standby or not to Standby
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by PodBoy:
Quote:
Originally posted by curriergroh:
[b]...the difference in utility bills is substantial...
Not to mention the difference it contributes to the environment! [/b]
I think firing up your car impacts the environment far more than leaving on an amplifier. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 323 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM