Newbie Question on Firmware for (just ordered) 990...

Posted by: Kap

Newbie Question on Firmware for (just ordered) 990... - 03/26/07 11:52 PM

Does the 990 ship with latest firmware, or will it be necessary to upgrade on arrival?

I ordered the 990/7125 combo to drive just ordered B&W 805s'...And I can't wait.

This forum has been very helpful along the way. Thanks to everyone who posts for making this part of the decision easier.
Posted by: GC

Re: Newbie Question on Firmware for (just ordered) 990... - 03/27/07 12:59 AM

I had to upgrade. Purshased the 990 in early January. Unit shipped with prior version. Downloaded and installed the firmware update via USB cable without incident.

Be sure to print and carefully review the instructions from Outlaw in advance.

Suboptimal to have to do this, but relatively painless if you have the time. I harbor no resentment about it.

Re: Newbie Question on Firmware for (just ordered) 990... - 03/27/07 01:46 AM

Did they at least warn you that you had to upgrade?

How did you know?

(I wonder if you can use a USB storage key for upgrade...?)

PS How do you like your 990, GC? What are you using for amp? And thanks for the info.
Posted by: Skyblazer

Re: Newbie Question on Firmware for (just ordered) 990... - 03/27/07 04:26 AM

I"m not sure. but I don't think you can use a USB storage key to upgrade the firmware.. you need a laptop or desktop. you need to be able to see the promps on the screen of the computer.
Posted by: gonk

Re: Newbie Question on Firmware for (just ordered) 990... - 03/27/07 07:24 AM

I'd definitely recommend checking the version installed (press "SELECT" and "INPUT" on the front panel at the same time while the unit is in standby and the version will be displayed on the front panel). My 990 review firmware page talks a bit about the upgrade process, and Outlaw's 990 firmware page has some good, detailed directions for the process of upgrading it.

Re: Newbie Question on Firmware for (just ordered) 990... - 03/27/07 05:24 PM

Thanks Gonk & Skyblazer.

I asked Outlaw support and they said it may have shipped with firmware...or may not have!

I'll let you know what arrives on my doorstep next week...
Posted by: GC

Re: Newbie Question on Firmware for (just ordered) 990... - 03/28/07 09:44 PM

Love the 990. Love it. Easy to use, flexible, smart design. Totally satisfying.

With a B&K Components Reference 200.7 amp.

I was not warned by Outlaw in advance that I would need to update the firmware, but I had been reading the forums and figured that would probably be the situation.
Posted by: Snarl

Re: Newbie Question on Firmware for (just ordered) 990... - 03/31/07 02:27 AM

I purchased my 990 in January 2007 and it required the update. I used the USB Method and it worked fine just print out the instructions and you'll have no problem. Part of me thinks Outlaw should update prior to shipment as we don't all have the accessibility required for the update however they do have a point in their argument against updating all stock. Either way when I finally updated my 990 it was pretty straight forward and no problems.

Good luck
Posted by: Mr_Freedom

Re: Newbie Question on Firmware for (just ordered) 990... - 04/01/07 05:40 AM

I purchased my 990 in Nov '06 and it came with the upgraded firmware. Maybe someone there was tweaking it for me. I love this Pre-Pro. Very functional. I don't think you're going to find anyone who isn't absolutely thrilled with this unit. I'd get the 990 now and buy the amp later. BTJMO.
Posted by: Guido

Re: Newbie Question on Firmware for (just ordered) 990... - 04/01/07 01:54 PM

I bought a "B" stock 990 a month ago and am thrilled with it. The latest firmware was installed. As far as I can tell it looks new in every way. Not a single mark. All packaging like new. I love how it sounds with the B&W's. especially on Upsample stereo. Easy to setup and use. WAF factor/very high.
Posted by: jeffdavis

Re: Newbie Question on Firmware for (just ordered) 990... - 04/04/07 01:50 AM

KAP,

I purchased my 990 back in early 2005. I upgraded the firmware when the original update came out, but did not upgrade to fix the "sub trim bug", as I do not have my 990 setup in a mode that should be affected by this. The one firmware update that I did do was easy. But as pointed out previously, please download and read the directions thoroughly before proceeding and refer to them throughout the upgrade process.

Good luck and enjoy your new sound.

Jeff