990 w/Comcast DVR (DVI only model)

Posted by: Hoosier Benzo

990 w/Comcast DVR (DVI only model) - 11/27/06 01:33 AM

Is anyone using the Comcast DVR with DVI output into the 990 with successful pass-thru to your display?

I've read some of the posts regarding CC DVR and HDMI-to-DVI pass-thru not working with the 990, but noone has specifically mentioned using the DVR model that exclusively outputs DVI.

I'm thinking that it might be affected in the same way as HDMI only models. Comments?
Posted by: pkafka

Re: 990 w/Comcast DVR (DVI only model) - 11/27/06 04:55 PM

I currently use the 990's DVI pass through switching to support both my Comcast DVR's DVI output and my Oppos DVD players DVI output. I have not experienced any problems or noticed any signal denigration in the output of either device.

Hope that helps.

-Peter

Re: 990 w/Comcast DVR (DVI only model) - 11/27/06 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pkafka:
I currently use the 990's DVI pass through switching to support both my Comcast DVR's DVI output and my Oppos DVD players DVI output. I have not experienced any problems or noticed any signal denigration in the output of either device.
Thanks for the reply. This is encouraging to say the least, and moves the 990 up on my list.

It seems the problems I've read about with Comcast DVR's not happy-handshaking video signals might be limited to the HDMI versions of their boxes.

I wonder though, how long will it be until the HDMI problem gets sorted out industry-wide such that Outlaw will move to that format. Will it be HDMI ver. 1.3 that does it, and can anyone speculate whether a firmware upgrade will be possible on the 990 to support it?
Posted by: gonk

Re: 990 w/Comcast DVR (DVI only model) - 11/27/06 10:28 PM

There is not going to be a way to upgrade the 990 to HDMI. It will require a new platform to incorporate HDMI fully. As to when HDMI matures enough to drive away the assortment of compatibility problems relating to certain source or display devices, I'm not sure that HDMI v1.3 alone will resolve those - it's more a matter of time and manufacturers learning to "get it right."

Re: 990 w/Comcast DVR (DVI only model) - 11/27/06 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
There is not going to be a way to upgrade the 990 to HDMI. It will require a new platform to incorporate HDMI fully. As to when HDMI matures enough to drive away the assortment of compatibility problems relating to certain source or display devices, I'm not sure that HDMI v1.3 alone will resolve those - it's more a matter of time and manufacturers learning to "get it right."
Thanks for the info, gonk.