Wow! This is some preamp

Posted by: Robert Holloway

Wow! This is some preamp - 03/11/06 03:03 AM

For $900 (I got the 7700)

I have DVI and component switching and an awesome sounding preamp

Very easy to set up

Though I have only scratched the surface

Only compaint is that the display looks cheap versus my previous Sony 9000 ES

Can you dim the display? I have not seen a way how to do this yet.

Otherwise, this appears to be a wonderful compliment to the 7700.

Rob
Posted by: gonk

Re: Wow! This is some preamp - 03/11/06 08:31 AM

I'm glad to hear that the 990 is working out for you. smile

I don't believe that you can dim the display.
Posted by: drunkonjack

Re: Wow! This is some preamp - 03/11/06 08:42 AM

Once you get more listening time in and some tweaking you will become even more impressed .

Congrats on the new toy !
Posted by: 540nj

Re: Wow! This is some preamp - 03/11/06 10:31 AM

You can't dim the display to my knowledge, but you can set it (the dislay) to turn off xx seconds after the last remote command. I set mine to 10 seconds, good enough to track the volume changes.

Enjoy, I've had my 990 since xmas, movies sound a lot better than my old adcom preamp, and CDs are getting a whole new life, especially after figuring out when to switch the subwoofers internal xover on (full range is sent to subs in certain modes, ruins the stereo image, unless xover is enabled).

dave

Re: Wow! This is some preamp - 03/11/06 11:08 AM

Thanks everyone.

I will definitely find out how to lose the display

and I'll look at how to set my REL subs as well

Basically the 990 is wired up and working with no calibration at all.

Another comment : the menu software display looks like those old ping pong video games from the late 1970's!!

Rob

Re: Wow! This is some preamp - 03/13/06 12:32 PM

So here's the good news. The preamp is a significant leap in terms of sound quality versus my Sony TE9000 ES preamp.

Forget all the extra switching, the sound is just plain more detailed, natural and the music has more of a timbre that I've not heard on a 5.1 set up at my flat before.

This change is isolated to my 990 because the Sony was previously working with the 7700. There is no doubt that the two are a magnificent combination. I was lucky enough to get the benefit of the January newsletter deal which made it even more of a bargain.

What makes me even more excited about this news is that i have not done any calibration at all. This is just a case of putting the 990 on the rack, wiring it and pressing go. It will only get better :-)

Rob
Posted by: braidkid

Re: Wow! This is some preamp - 03/13/06 04:29 PM

Quote:

(full range is sent to subs in certain modes, ruins the stereo image, unless xover is enabled).

dave [/QB]
To clarify....full range is only sent when using 2ch analog inputs. All digital and 7.1 analog inputs are bass managed.