Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#82075 - 01/18/10 08:35 PM Auto Setup
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontairo, Canada
Hello everyone!

After adding a sub into the mix, I ran the auto setup program. When completed, I checked the setup and was a bit surprised to see that my two main, left and right speakers were set to small, the same as my center and surround speakers. The thing is, my mains, as compared to my center and surround speakers are like Goliath to David (much larger, by comparison).

I checked the values and was surprised to discover that the db values were negative, for the center and surround speakers, as compared to positive, when the main, left and right speakers were set to Large. The main speakers, however, remained at the 0 db reference level. This seems to be right, but why the different approach?

thanks,

John

#82077 - 01/18/10 08:51 PM Re: Auto Setup [Re: Dr_JB]
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Check out the 990 postings for discussion about the bass management settings in the 990. The newest firmware version fixed most of them, but the previous firmware forced speakers to small whenever the sub was active. This was an assumption that if the sub was active then all LFE would be directed that way and the other speakers would get everything above the crossover. If you forced the system to Large front speakers then the sub was deactivated. The newest version lets the user configure the 990 anyway they want. I never updated mine because it worked great the way it was.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#82078 - 01/18/10 09:21 PM Re: Auto Setup [Re: Dr_JB]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Originally Posted By: Dr_JB
After adding a sub into the mix, I ran the auto setup program. When completed, I checked the setup and was a bit surprised to see that my two main, left and right speakers were set to small, the same as my center and surround speakers. The thing is, my mains, as compared to my center and surround speakers are like Goliath to David (much larger, by comparison).

Just because the mains are big doesn't mean they will work best when set to "large." What speakers are you running for mains? Their "-3dB point" (the frequency at which their output is 3dB below the average output level) give us a good idea of what crossover point they should use, and unless the -3dB point is down into the 20Hz range (or maybe the low 30's) you are probably best having some sort of crossover engaged. To have a crossover applied, you need to have them set to "small." It's a widely-used terminology that often confuses people.
Originally Posted By: Dr_JB
I checked the values and was surprised to discover that the db values were negative, for the center and surround speakers, as compared to positive, when the main, left and right speakers were set to Large. The main speakers, however, remained at the 0 db reference level. This seems to be right, but why the different approach?

Hard to say, but it could be as simple as a variation in microphone placement when the two calibrations were run.

#82079 - 01/18/10 09:39 PM Re: Auto Setup [Re: gonk]
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

XenonMan, I have the newest firmware version.

Gonk, my mains are old Dahlquist DQ 10's. Where the -3db point is, I couldn't tell you. They bottom out at 35 hz. There are five drivers, in each speaker, with crossover points at: 400hz; 1000hz; 6000hz & 12,000hz. I'm sure that doesn't help much.

You are right, the microphone was place in a slightly different location, pointed more up, than forward.

thanks,

John

#82080 - 01/18/10 09:54 PM Re: Auto Setup [Re: Dr_JB]
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If they bottom out around 35Hz, that helps. It is probably close to the -3dB point. My Paradigm Studio60's were similar (went down to around 40Hz). I would recommend leaving all speakers set to small and experimenting a little with the front crossover. A 60Hz setting is technically the best bet (roughly double the -3dB point), but you may prefer a 40Hz point initially.

#82081 - 01/18/10 10:16 PM Re: Auto Setup [Re: gonk]
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

As always, thanks Gonk!

John

#82086 - 01/19/10 03:42 AM Re: Auto Setup [Re: Dr_JB]
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
I'm using Dahlquist DQ-20i's for my mains and I always felt that it sounded better when they were set to "small" when using my subwoofer.

#82091 - 01/19/10 10:39 AM Re: Auto Setup [Re: Ritz2]
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, Ritz2. So far, so good.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 302 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM