Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#69880 - 12/02/09 07:30 PM IR Questions for Zone 2
da88 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Carterville, IL
Okay, I have been searching the archives for an answer to my ir zone 2 question and haven't really found one that i can understand. I am mostly clueless to the whole ir remote thing.
My situation: I have a 990/7125 combo. I am only using 5 channels on the 7125. I wish to run speakers from my basement to my upstairs bedroom to have music on occassion via Zone 2. I understand the audio hookup portion of the whole thing but i am looking for the easiest/cheapest was to get the Zone 2 remote to operate from my bedroom much like my 2nd remote for my dish 722k DVR does, although the DVR is RF.
I have seen posts about ir recievers, repeaters, sensors, blasters and modulators, etc. Is there any simple plug and play type device that doesn't cost $200.00 that will allow me to use the zone 2 remote?

I have seen devices like the Next Gen remote extender and wonder if that will work for this application.

http://www.nextgen.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=remoteextenderplus

Help!!
Rears/ Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.1
Center/ Paradigm Studio-CC
Sub/ Paradigm PS-1000

#69881 - 12/02/09 09:03 PM Re: IR Questions for Zone 2
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I haven't ever used the NextGen remote extender before, but it seems like a pretty reasonable option. Two things you need to keep in mind. First, the 990's rear IR input is most likely not compatible with this device unless you get a conversion module (which will cost at least as much as the remote extender itself). As a result, you need to use the IR emitter. Second, that IR emitter needs to be placed so that it won't obstruct use of the remote in the main space. Some companies make IR emitters that have clear shells for this very reason, and if the included emitter isn't transparent for IR signals you may end up needing to swap it for one of those. (Xantech makes them and HomeTech.com sells them, in case you need it.)

#69882 - 12/03/09 06:40 AM Re: IR Questions for Zone 2
Jimna Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Some companies make IR emitters that have clear shells for this very reason, and if the included emitter isn't transparent for IR signals you may end up needing to swap it for one of those. (Xantech makes them and HomeTech.com sells them, in case you need it.)
just saw one of these for my own eye this week, pretty nifty.

Outlaw 970>
Emotiva XPA-2>
Martin Logan Preface

Some Of My Live Recordings: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/J.Mimna

My Concert Photographs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimna/collections/72157613267633153/

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM