Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#66013 - 08/26/07 09:17 PM HDMI help needed...
Terrapinion Offline
Gunslinger

Howdy.

I have the Outlaw 990 connected to a Panasonic TH-42PX50U with a DVI->HDMI cable. The video sources are my cable box and an Oppo 971H, both via DVI-DVI cables (and optical audio). As a side note, I have had some problems whenever I try to switch back and forth between the two sources such that when I go from TV to DVD and then back to TV I lose video but retain audio. In order to get video back I need to restart the Outlaw (restarting the source does not help). I have switched cables and tested the sources directly and everything works except the switching.

But, let's put that aside for now because my real issue is that I am replacing the Oppo with a Toshiba D-R400 DVD Recorder. This can be connected to the Outlaw via component or HDMI. My question is whether I will lose anything other than the audio if I connect via a HDMI->DVI cable? There are a number of features that are unavailable when using component output but would I be stripped of these features anyway because I am using an HDMI->DVI cable? The Toshiba manual says that when using such a cable the output is 'digital rgb'.

Clearly I do not know a lot about HDMI. If I am making this more complicated than it has to e then feel free to be blunt. I haven't purchased either cable yet so there is no harm done. Any help is appreciated.

#66014 - 08/27/07 02:45 AM Re: HDMI help needed...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
First, the problem with video when switching sounds like HDCP handshaking, and since the 971H doesn't include HDCP it's most likely the display that's having the problem with the 990's switching. You might try turning the TV off and back on when the problem arises.

Second, you will lose nothing by using an HDMI-to-DVI cable and an optical or coaxial digital audio cable to connect the DVD recorder to the 990. The audio output will be Dolby Digital, DTS, or PCM stereo, all three of which are transmitted in exactly the same way whether via HDMI or via optical/coaxial. Also, the Toshiba manual's comment about "digital RGB" would relate to a case of connecting to a DVI display - the 990's DVI switching is transparent when connecting an HDMI source to an HDMI display, so as far as the DVD recorder and TV are concerned it's an HDMI signal path all the way.

#66015 - 08/27/07 04:49 PM Re: HDMI help needed...
Terrapinion Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks gonk - you are a peach!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 236 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM