Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#62753 - 11/17/06 04:59 PM Using balanced XLR & unbalanced RCA outputs at the same time?
BHTX Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dallas, TX
Hi,

I have plans of eventually trying out 3 pairs of Eminent Technology LFT-8a's for the front stage, in a "stacked configuration ("The Poor Man's IRS V" for the front 3 channels). The infamous LFT-8's of course have dual binding posts for biamping. So, to take advantage of that would require a 7 channel amplifier AND a 5 channel amplifier for the front 3 channels (4 channels of amplifier output available for EACH channel, 12 channels total). With that said, I would have to use a Y splitter on each XLR output on the back of a Model 990, and another Y splitter on each of the unbalanced RCA outputs. Sounds crazy, but believe me...if this is possible, this setup would be AWESOME! eek

More about the "stacked" Eminent-Tech LFT-VIII's:
http://www.eminent-tech.com/stacked8review.html

For the record, I'm currently running a single pair of LFT-8a's, biamped to a Golden Theater GTX-A 5 channel amplifier with a Golden Theater GTX-1 preamp/processor. No center or rear channels as of yet. I also currently have 2 Ascendant Avalanche 15's laying around that I plan to put in separate 300 liter Sonosub enclosures, driven by 600-800w per channel from a pro amplifier of some sort. In other words, I'm no where near my goals yet. frown

Hopefully, simultaneous utilization of both types of outputs on the Model 990 is possible. If so, are there any negative results from doing this? I've personally never heard of anyone doing it.

Thanks in advance!
Brandin
Ascendant Avalanche 15
Cinepro PowerLight 1800
Acoustic Research TDS202
AudioControl Bijou THX EQ
Samsung HL-R6768W 67" HDTV

#62754 - 11/17/06 07:32 PM Re: Using balanced XLR & unbalanced RCA outputs at the same time?
knownalien Offline
Gunslinger

keep in mind that there is about a 3db difference between balanced and unbalanced outputs.
Oppo OPPO DV-981
Polk LSi15 Fronts
Polk LSiC Center
Polk LSi9 Surrounds
SVS PC-Plus 20-39 (newest addition down to 16hz) Subwoofer
Sony KDF-50WE655 50" LCD

#62755 - 11/17/06 08:48 PM Re: Using balanced XLR & unbalanced RCA outputs at the same time?
BHTX Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Dallas, TX
Yeah, I'd probably be best off using pro amps (QSC RMX850 or something) and an SPL meter or Room EQ Wizard to match the gains on the amps. It'd be a bit of a mess at first, and quite expensive by the time it's all over, but well worth it in the end, I think.

I mean think about it... it'd take 6 RMX-850's for the front 3 channels, 2 for all 4 rear channels (Magnepan MMGW, or something similar), plus 2 more for the subs (each bridged into 4 ohms)...or I could get cheaper with a Behringer ep2500, or something like that for the subs.

Regardless...all together, as far as amps go, we're looking at a grand total of around $2700 to $3000. People willingly spend more than that on a single 2 channel amplifer in a hi-fi setup all the time (ridiculous IMO). After adding it all up, we're looking at somewhere around $7,000 to $8,000 for the entire audio system. And of course I already have a small fraction of what would be used. Considering the rest of the world, that's not bad for putting together what might very well be one of the most badass hifi/HT setups most people would ever get the chance to hear in their lives... not bad at all! laugh
Ascendant Avalanche 15
Cinepro PowerLight 1800
Acoustic Research TDS202
AudioControl Bijou THX EQ
Samsung HL-R6768W 67" HDTV

#62756 - 11/18/06 08:36 AM Re: Using balanced XLR & unbalanced RCA outputs at the same time?
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
I think by mixing the RCA's and the XLR's you're looking for a ground loop nightmare!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 337 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM