Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#57094 - 01/06/06 08:55 AM 990 Video signal processing
Benson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Last weekend I tried to take advantage of my TVs HD capabilities and bought a component video cable to connect my 990 to my TV and feed the 990 with all video sources to avoid switching inputs on my TV.
If I am not mistaken the 990 should upconvert all (non-HD) video signals to 480p.
Connecting the XBox360's HD signal (component video cable + optical audio) was nor problem and everything looked fine.
However, when switching to XBox (component video + optical audio, regardless of setting it to HD or 480i), PS2 (composite video cable), Gamecube (composite video cable) or CableTV (S-video cable)input the picture was messed up (blurred, horizontally stretched picture, shifted to the right) and the 990 displayed the on-screen message 'OUT OF RANGE'. confused
As I didn't find anything about this in the manual I thought I turn to the experts in this forum to find out what is wrong. I appreciate any help and advice.

#57095 - 01/06/06 09:50 AM Re: 990 Video signal processing
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 990 will transcode s-video and composite video sources to 480i component (not 480p). It has also been transparent for me in switching 480p and 1080i component video sources.

Was the "OUT OF RANGE" message displayed by the 990 or by your TV? It strikes me as curious that the 480i sources (composite and s-video transcoded and 480i component) are giving you trouble - are there any restrictions on the particular input you are using at the TV?

#57096 - 01/06/06 12:54 PM Re: 990 Video signal processing
Benson Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the fast response Gonk!
About your questions:
1) The fact that I attribute the error message to come form the 990 is just by the font, color and position of the message, but that might just be coincidental. Due to the advertised transcoding feature I expected the 480i sources to work properly with the described wireing. Do you think this is a hardware/software issue of the 990?
2) The TV I connected the 990 to by component video cable to is a 36'' widescreen CRT that supposedly can handle 480p and 1080i input but NOT 720p. As I mentioned earlier the XBox360 signal looks nicely detailed and crisp.
I hope this gives you further clues to determine what might be the problem. Thanks!

#57097 - 01/06/06 01:47 PM Re: 990 Video signal processing
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The transcoding should work quite transparently with the wiring you've described. The "out of range" message is not one I've seen the 990 produce, and it sounds more like something a computer monitor (or their cousin the HDTV, particularly a CRT) would say if the signal was weak or distorted. When you saw "out of range" was it on top of the messed up picture, and if so was it also messed up or was it clear? If it was clear, that would further make me suspect the TV was adding it due to problems with the signal.

I assume that all of the inputs are set to the correct video source (composite, s-video, or the correct component input) and that all the cables are firmly in place and not reversed. Another thought: all of those sources are producing 4:3 images (except perhaps the XBox) that are going to remain 4:3 (the 990 will not add pillarboxing). Since your HDTV is probably set to treat the incoming signal as 16:9, that would explain the horizontal stretching and may even explain some of the blurring. Can you tell the TV that the signal is 4:3?

#57098 - 01/06/06 02:21 PM Re: 990 Video signal processing
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wisconsin
If I may stick my nose in here, I think it is your TV input and not the 990. I have the same issue with my Samsung DLP. 2 or 3 of the component inputs are for signals in HD (480p, 720p and 1080i) and one is for 480p and below (480i) only. I believe the transcoding of the 990 simply routes the 480i signal of S video & composite to component out on the 990, and does NOT upconvert it to 480p.

The onscreen display only works through component video on one input on my TV...the one designed to handle 480i signals. Plugged into the other ones I get the message "Not Supported Mode" This is somewhat of a catch-22 because all the HD signals need to be in one of the other component inputs if I want resolution of 720p that my TV is native to. Hence, I must run the onscreen display through S video and change the input to view the OSD. Now, all that being said. If the 990 is indeed suppposed to upconvert to 480p (I don't think so)...then there is a problem somewhere in the 990.
Pioneer DV578A (SACD,DVD-A)
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

#57099 - 01/06/06 02:44 PM Re: 990 Video signal processing
Benson Offline
Gunslinger

The message 'OUF OF RANGE' appears on the bottom and is displayed in a distorted way with the rest of the picture.

In the 990 video input menue I set the signal source to the appropriate input although only DVD, composite1/2 and DVI inputs have specific numbers associated while all others (S-video, composite) do not have a specific number associated. When I connected a composite video signal for video1 I avoided to also connect a S-video/composite signal to the similarly labeled input on the 990.

I am not sure what you refer to as cables are 'reversed'?

The TV can be set to 4:3, panorama and 16:9 output. When connecting the S-video and composite signals (PS2, GC, Cable) directly to the TV there is no problem in displaying them in the 16:9 mode. However, if these are transcoded to composite this might be a different story?! What strikes me is that the XBox shows the same distortion as the above sources even though I connected it by component video cable (works fine as a direct feed to the TV) and tried to set it to 480i/p, 720p, 1080i (all in widescreen mode [XBox internal set menue]).

I can't tell from the picture if the TV is trying to stretch a 4:3 picture to 16:9. Maybe I need to explain the picture I see in more detail: The picture is horizontally stretched. At the same time picture has 'shaddow' that's what makes the picture blurry. Additionally the picture is moved out to the right so that the left border appears several inches to the right. To the left of the left border is a vertical black bar of maybe 4 inches. To the left of this black bar I see the part of the picture that would originally be displayed on the right end side of the picture. However I am missing picture information from the center/right part. Think of it like someone would take a blurry picture of the screen, stretched it and glues in to a cylindric body with a gap between the left and right ends of the picture. Now turn the cylindric body with picture until the gap (black bar)appears in the left third of the field of vision when looking straight at the cylinder. I hope yhis makes any sense ?! I appreciate your help!

#57100 - 01/06/06 03:08 PM Re: 990 Video signal processing
Benson Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the input Capt. What I don't understand is that the 990 is messing up the HD component video coming from the XBox?

And correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't the 990's OSD work at least with S-video? I even seem to recall it should work with component video as overlay but not with DVI...

I am just trying to be lazy and have all signals routed through the 990 without having to switch inputs on the TV, the only function I seem to be unable to program to my learning remote. Goal is to only use one remote (the 990's). Maybe I have to give up on this dream...

#57101 - 01/06/06 03:31 PM Re: 990 Video signal processing
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

I don't want to hijack the thread, but if you are willing, I have the time and we can fix two of your questions with this test.

Start by plugging an s-video from monitor out of the 990 directly into an S video in on the TV. Unplug any composite or S video feed associated with the input selection you are going to use for the X box . Select the S video input on your TV that the monitor out cable is feeding. Bring up the OSD on the 990 by pressing menu on the remote. It should display. Problem 2 solved. Now please confirm a couple of things:

1. You have configured the input in the 990 that the X box is plugged into to be COMP 1 (or 2 whatever you are using). OSD will say CONFIG INPUT, select that and toggle to video and select the proper component feed.

2. Plug in you X box component feed to the 990 input you selected and fire her up. Switch to component input on the TV and it should be visable with no distortion.

3. Repeat the input configuration with all other inputs you wish to use.

You should be good to go.
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

#57102 - 01/06/06 03:57 PM Re: 990 Video signal processing
Benson Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Capt, I will try your guidelines this weekend. I will let you know what came out of it. And don't worry about hijacking threads wink

#57103 - 01/06/06 04:09 PM Re: 990 Video signal processing
The Capt Offline
Gunslinger

By the way, my post was not entirely complete. I forgot to add that you need component from the monitor out on the 990 to the TV to remain connected. I am sure you realize this but it never hurts to point it out.

Also, if this works as set up, you will have OSD only on another input on your TV. Thats where I am at.
Monster HT3500MKII
X Box, Samsung HLN-4667W
Energy C-9 (mains)
Energy C-C1 (center)
Proficient C645 (surr)
Hsu VTF2MKII Sub

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 255 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM