Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#55259 - 07/10/05 12:20 PM 990 pops and clicks and general comments.
texaspledge Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX, USA
So I received the 990 on Friday and I have to say I am very impressed so far. Movie soundtracks sound excellent. I am still evaluating things from the music side. My Citation 7 did such a great job with music I'm a little spoiled. Especially the base management on the Citation blended the sub and speakers perfectly.

I am still playing with the 990 for music and think I will be able to get it tweaked close to the Citation. The low level detail of the 990 is excellent and it is very quiet so I think it's a keeper.

So, does anyone else get a pop everytime it loses lock on a digital signal? It's a moderately loud pop. It happens navigating through DVD menus and changing between channels that are DD 2.0 vs. PCM vs. DD5.1. It's a little bothersome. I think I could live with it but am surprized no one else has mentioend it.

Only other gripe right now is that the information I want to read on the display is not easily visible. Surround mode, dialog compensation, incoming signal format are all things I find I want to know and make sure I have selected the correct decoding method, but I can't see it easily. To be honest, I don't really need to know the input I've chosen or especially the digital input associated with that input. That doesn't make much sense to me.

But overall, great showing from Outlaw!

#55260 - 07/10/05 04:54 PM Re: 990 pops and clicks and general comments.
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

Yes, I agree; the display information is pretty badly thought out. Expecially when you compare it to the previous model 950 (which told you what kind of signal and format BEFORE you change it)
Hopefully this is something outlaw can change via the USB port for firmware. I have complained about it, and hopefully enough others will as well...I hope the outlaws let us know they are working on this...I for one would rest easier if I knew.

#55261 - 07/10/05 07:02 PM Re: 990 pops and clicks and general comments.
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
I do not have the pops you are talking about. I would contact Outlaw about that tomorrow. I agree with you about the display though. I expected better considering all the room they had to work with.

#55262 - 07/10/05 10:31 PM Re: 990 pops and clicks and general comments.
travk13 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: iowa
i got pops on digital when using optical... i switched to coax and it lssened almost not at all... how old dvd player r u using??? i'm using a pretty old ..but high end marantz may try one of my newer players... i just love the marantz's picture...

#55263 - 07/10/05 11:15 PM Re: 990 pops and clicks and general comments.
AudioBear Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Champaign, IL
Its always hard to tell whether the patch cord that you replaced was defective or if the sender and receiver had a timing problem on one kind of interface but not over the other. That said, clicks and pops shouldn't happen under normal circumstances.

I feed my Outlaw 990 over coax from my Denon 3910 and optical from my Sony SAT-HD200 DTV/satellite receiver. I switched the inputs and couldn't generate any clicks on DTV, satellite, CD, or DVD. I use analog out for SACD and DVD-A so I couldn't test them.

I agree with everyone's thinking that clicks shouldn't be....but can't add much that will help. In my system, however, kind of input doesn't seem to matter. Everyone says Outlaw is very helpful. Let us know what they say.

#55264 - 07/11/05 07:00 AM Re: 990 pops and clicks and general comments.
blaineh Offline
Gunslinger

Oh, sorry, forgot to address your pops and clicks...my machine is free from this, and, on a positive note it does lock onto a digital source much faster than the 950. As was stated, outlaws are good about help for a problem; but first check/replace cables...

#55265 - 07/12/05 11:37 PM Re: 990 pops and clicks and general comments.
texaspledge Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hmmm, when I was using it today I realized there definitely must be something wrong. The pop I hear when the preamp loses and gains digital lock I also get very time I hit mute when it's on a digital input. That's not right.

Thanks for the responses everyone I will call Outlaw tomorrow. But I wish I didn't have to ship it back! I don't want to do without it!

#55266 - 07/13/05 08:28 AM Re: 990 pops and clicks and general comments.
travk13 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: iowa
tex when did you recieve?? mine is doing the same things...i may give scott a call.. i recieved june 20 something

#55267 - 07/13/05 12:42 PM Re: 990 pops and clicks and general comments.
Rene S. Hollan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Monroe, WA
But I wish I didn't have to ship it back! I don't want to do without it!

When I was having problems with Video1 Rec/Out (that a reset eventually fixed), Outlaw generously offered to ship me a loaner while my problem was being fixed. No mention was made of who would pay shipping for the loaner, but I found the offer generous nevertheless. In the end it was not necessary.

FWIW, my 990 does not exhibit the problem you describle.

#55268 - 07/13/05 11:48 PM Re: 990 pops and clicks and general comments.
texaspledge Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I actually just received last week. At least I'm not the only one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 169 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM