Good Morning (EST) to All.

Initially this post is directed to "Ritz" (because he has the Magnepan Electronstatic speakers) and then I will continue the rest of my questions:

Ritz, I am considering the Magnepan 12s (mainly because I live in an apoartment, therefore, the 1.6 would take up over a 1/3 of my living room space)for the front (LR). A dealer of the Maggies is willing to sell me his floor demos for $880, and the humongous Maggie Center speaker for $790. I am not all that thrilled with the size of the Center speaker, but noticed that you are using a DefTech center. How is that working out for you? The dealer thought that a center speaker other than an electrostatic might cause some sound issues.

Ok, now on to the topics of the day...As I mentioned I am fairly new to the world of separates. Initially, I had considered going for the Flagship receivers of either Denon or Pioneer but ultimately decided that separates are the way to go which put me in a quandry. I Have researched the issue of separates until my eyes are crossed and I am not better off for it. To many choices, to little money...lol. I understand that name brand separates are a matter of personal choice, some people prefer astethics over function, while it is reeverse for others and of course there is $$$. I am not looking for High-End equipment that will cause me to go out and rob a bank to pay for, however, I don't want something that is not going to hold up (soundwise) functionally.

I have researched the following manufacturer's equipment: OUTLAW, NAD, ROTEL, SHERWOOD NEWCASTLE, and a couple of others and I am no closer to making an informed decision than I was when I began this quest.

I am looking for a Power AMP (200W per channel @ 7.1 channels), and a Pre-amp/Sound Processor. I am not sure which bells and whistles I will need and which are just nice to have. Is Bass Management an issue? I don't know, its hard to say what is and is not an issue without knowing what it does (or doesn't do).

The type of listening will vary according to mood swings (lol); however, I can say that 70% is DVD/TV, 30% Music (Jazz, Classical, Hip-Hop, etc, etc.) and the remaining 10% Video games. cool

Yes, I have actually auditioned the Rotel Amp/Pre-amp/Processor however I was not impressed with the salesperson. When I mentioned that my other choices are Outlaw, NAD, and Sherwood Castle, I detected a look of disgust. In fact, he proceeded to tell me that they were ok but they weren't Rotel. Yes, I know he has a vested interest in selling me his brand; howewver, it turned me off immediately. He also tried to steer me in the direction of some really "butt ugly" floor standing speakers. B & W something are another. Yes, I know they are high-end speakers and will do everythng to include make me dinner. However, IMHO they are still UGLY speakers...lol And in the event that there are people on this site who own them and are offended...please accept my apologies.

Ok, I digress...the point is what is it that you guys (and gals) like about the Outlaw equipment that won you over?

Thank you all for your patience for putting up with this rather lengthy post.

Paladin