Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#68889 - 10/14/08 09:42 PM Odd DVI Switching Problem
budgetaudiophile Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Ohio
I recently set up a front projection system. When switching the video through the Outlaw 990, using HD cablebox as my source, I only get the menu items (i.e., channel designation and menu graphics). The video does not pass through. When I removed the outlaw and went straight from the cable box, it works fine.

I have an HDMI run from cable box to projector. Cable box, like the Outlaw, is DVI out (not sure why, they must have given me an older unit). I have a DVI -> HDMI adapter.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Either it's the brand new DVI cable running from the cable box to the 990, or it's the Outlaw. I thought I'd ask in here if anyone has seen this problem before. I'll be experimenting with the cable, as well, as that's the only other element I can't account for.

Thanks!
NAD 214
Thiel CS1.6, SCS3; Emotiva ERD-1
SVS PC-Ultra
Mitsubishi HC-4900
106" Carada Criterion BW

#68890 - 10/15/08 01:32 AM Re: Odd DVI Switching Problem
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
Sounds like your projector is having a tough time negotiating a handshake when the wire path gets complicated. The Outlaw does nothing to the DVI signal.

Gonk is the expert around these parts, he might chime in with a more definitive suggestion.

#68891 - 10/15/08 12:12 PM Re: Odd DVI Switching Problem
Fredneck Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Frederick, MD
I had a similar problem when setting up my front projection system and thought the DVI out on the 990 was not working.

I have a blu-ray player and a satellite box hooked up through my 990. I was not able to get any video to my projector when I ran it through the 990. I tried replacing the HDMI/DVI adapter, as this is a common point of failure, but that didn't solve the problem either. The odd thing was, every once in a while, when fiddling with the cables, I would get a brief (but highly degraded) picture from the projector. Like you, hooking my sources directly to the projector was not a problem at all.

I contacted Outlaw and they suggested I use shorter HDMI to DVI cables (1 meter or less). Being new to the HT arena, I thought this was an odd suggestion, but I purchased two 1 meter HDMI to DVI cables from Outlaw and that solved the problem.

So, you might want to try using a shorter HDMI to DVI cable from your cable box to the 990.

#68892 - 10/15/08 07:40 PM Re: Odd DVI Switching Problem
budgetaudiophile Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Ohio
I'll check the length of the DVI cable (cable box is DVI out to Outlaw's DVI in). The DVI --> HDMI adapter is just that, and connects the DVI out of the Outlaw to the HDMI cable that runs to the projector. The HDMI calbe itself is about 20-25'. It runs from the equipment shelf to the ceiling where the projector is mounted.
NAD 214
Thiel CS1.6, SCS3; Emotiva ERD-1
SVS PC-Ultra
Mitsubishi HC-4900
106" Carada Criterion BW

Who's Online
0 registered (), 356 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM