Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#58997 - 03/30/06 11:55 AM Need help with new 990 (long)
Ruffles Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Idaho
Hi everyone. I just upgraded to a 990 to replace my 970 that was having problems. I hooked it up last night I have some questions...

1. I have a 6.1 setup. With the 970, one of the speaker menus (speaker size I think) had 3 options for the Surround Back Speakers. You could set it to None, SBL + SBR, or just SBL. SBL was the setting the manual said to use for a 6.1 set up. I can't seem to find the equivelent setting on the 990.

2. When I talked to Outlaw and placed the order, we talked about using the auto-setup. Steve @ Outlaw said to connect my rear center speaker to the SBR. Then run auto-setup. I was supposed to watch the screen for the level info that the auto setup measured. He said that when it got to SBL which doesn't exits, it would interrupt the auto-setup procedure. I was then supposed to disable to back surrounds and re-run the setup in 5.1 mode. After that completed, I would re-enable the back surrounds and manually enter the level setting from the auto-setup attempt (actually the inverse value). This didn't work for me. First, auto-setup with all speakers on didn't stop when it failed to detect a SBL. It continued to check for SL and Sub. Next, when I ran auto-setup in 5.1 mode, I got an error message that said my surrounds where large and my fronts were small and I should switch them. I have Klipsch RB-5 for L&R and RC-3 for C. My surrounds are all RS-35. I have all of these speakers set to small. I even lowered the x-over on the fronts as low as it would go and rasied it on the surrounds. I still get this message everytime.

3. Where is the trim setting? On the 970 remote, there is a trim button for adjusting the channel levels on the fly. How do I do this on the 990? Can I make the menu appear on the front panel so I can make changes without interrupting the picture?

On the plus side, I can already tell a world of difference over the 970 and so far I've not had any "No audio" problems so I'm happy. Thanks in advance for your help!

Steve

#58998 - 03/30/06 12:16 PM Re: Need help with new 990 (long)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
1./2. I haven't tried setting up my 990 in 6.1, so I'm not sure what the solution for you is there. I'd suggest giving Outlaw a call.

3. There are two ways to adjust the trims. One is in the menu (channel calibration) - that's how I adjust mine. Another is the TEST button on the remote, which I remember struggling with when I used it once. I had to check the manual (page 35) to figure out what I was overlooking. If you press TEST on the remote and then press SET on the remote a couple times, it will let you adjust the front left speaker. The up and down buttons will adjust the trim, and the left and right buttons will change the speaker being adjusted.

#58999 - 03/30/06 02:49 PM Re: Need help with new 990 (long)
Cisco Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eatontown, New Jersey
I'm in a similar situation with 6.1 configuration and a new 990. I've got my system working in 6.1 mode following the advice Steve suggested. My understanding is it's not supposed to fail in the 7.1 auto calibration mode. He told me to take the db value of my sbr and after running it in 5.1 auto calibration to plug in the inverse value from my sbr setting which was -3 into the sbr after turning on the sb speakers. In my scenarion it resulted in an increased volume level for my center rear. This makes sense to me since the 990 doesn't allow for a 6.1 setup and there would be a loss of information from the lbr speaker to compensate for. My misunderstanding lies in the logic of taking the inverse db setting to plug in for the sbr setting. Let's say I had obtained a value of +3 db's for the sbr speaker during 7.1 auto calibration mode. If I had taken the inverse setting I would have been decreasing the sound in the final configuration, thereby negatively compensating for the missing lbr speaker. If anyone can shed some light on this issue I'd like to learn and gain a better understanding. Good luck with your configuration Ruffles.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 218 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts