Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#57249 - 01/15/06 03:52 PM DVI connection
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tampa Fl
I'm installing some new cables today. Connected DVI from 990 to my Sony TV. No picture but I due have audio on video 1 on the 990. TV set to the proper video input. I can't use DVI into the 990 form the DVR only component. Does this exclude DVI out to TV or is there a setting in the 990 I need to change. I have looked in the manual and found nothing about this.

Thanks
Brad

#57250 - 01/15/06 04:34 PM Re: DVI connection
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think I know what the problem is, but I'll get to it in a second. You need to make sure any input using DVI is set to use the specific DVI connection that you hooked the source to - until you do that, the 990 won't know to use that input. I don't think this is your problem, though, because you didn't mention connecting any source components to the 990's DVI inputs.

The 990 will not convert analog video sources to digital - this means that composite, s-video, and component inputs are not available at the DVI output. I'm guessing that the video1 input is using an analog video source.

#57251 - 01/15/06 05:00 PM Re: DVI connection
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk. I can only use component out from a Liteon DVR. That then, is why DVI doesn't work. I think I am going to send back the Liteon 5054 and find another DVR with hard drive and DVI out. Trying to set it up is, trying to say the least. The manual refers to steps that are not on the OSD.
Any suggestions? I picked this because It was not too expensive waiting for new HD recorders in the next year (or so).
Sorry if this part of the post is off topic for the 990 forum.

#57252 - 01/15/06 05:08 PM Re: DVI connection
gonk Offline
Desperado

Is there a reason you are avoiding component output to the TV? There's only two DVI inputs, so unless you don't plan to have more than two sources you will need to use some form of analog video.

#57253 - 01/15/06 05:22 PM Re: DVI connection
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

I assume, maybe incorrectly that the sat signal needs to run thru the DVR and then to the 990 then to the TV. At this point I would for see using the two DVI inputs for HD satellite and DVD. I don't use any game boxes and nieces and nephews are happy to play thru composite on front of TV. Not that things won't change in the future but I thought as long as DVI is available may as well use it. That said I have had no complaints with component inputs. I have never seen a picture thur DVI so I thought I would at least try it since its available on my equipment. If there is no real improvement I will stay with component and send DVI cables back.
Do you use DVI? Do you notice a difference?

#57254 - 01/15/06 06:13 PM Re: DVI connection
gonk Offline
Desperado

DVI does provide a better image quality - for some sources. My Oppo's DVI output gives me a definite improvement over my Yamaha's component output, for example, thanks in part to the fact that the Oppo outputs at 1080i or 720p while the Yamaha's highest resolution is 480p. On the other hand, DVI is only going to be better if the source is making full use of it. My HD cable box offers both DVI and component, but the difference in picture quality is almost indistinquishable because both produce an HD resolution. In fact, the component is slightly better than the DVI with my HD cable box. Bottom line - DVI can be better, but it isn't automatically going to be.

#57255 - 01/15/06 08:44 PM Re: DVI connection
tmex Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto
Did you try rebooting the dvr? Not that I have specific device but I find sometimes I have to reboot my satellite receiver dvr to get the video signal back. Low tech answer but it may work.

#57256 - 01/15/06 09:19 PM Re: DVI connection
gonk Offline
Desperado

I think the problem wasn't related to the DVR at all, but was a case of understanding how the 990's video switching works - his DVR lacks a DVI or HDMI output.

#57257 - 01/18/06 11:28 AM Re: DVI connection
Brad225 Offline
Gunslinger

I sent back the LiteOn and was going to buy a Sony 715 until I read a more about it and it sound like it had some limitations of use that may or may not affect me with future use but rather not take a chance. I decided to purchase a Panasonic EH50S and the Oppo 971H
(I guess you use a similar combination)to cover most media play. The Panasonic and Oppo together only cost $4 more than the Sony and from what I have read will give me better results.

I have a Zenith HD520 satellite receiver with HD output on component and DVI. As you know the Oppo does and the Panasonic does not have DVI output.

How do you connect this combination with the 990 to make best use of DVI connection. I need to order more DVI cables from Outlaw but don't want to order to many as cables are not returnable.

I also don't know if there is an easy way to connect my current DVD player that I will probably use for its SACD capability. The Oppo I believe will play DVD-Audio. This will give me 2 sets of analog cables and not enough inputs on the 990. If I need to just pick one or the other then I can switch cables I necessary. I have not started buying either format yet. It appears there are more SACD choices but that DVD-Audio is superior in sound quality (am I correct in this understanding).

#57258 - 01/18/06 12:04 PM Re: DVI connection
gonk Offline
Desperado

I would connect the Zenith HD520 and the Oppo to the two DVI inputs, then connect the DVI output to your TV. You should need no more than three DVI cables total (two for the inputs and one for the output). The Oppo will come with one. You'll want to make sure the Zenith and TV use DVI or HDMI and order two additional cables that are either DVI/DVI or DVI/HDMI.

You can only connect one multichannel analog source at a time - if your current player supports both formats or if you only have SACD's currently I'd leave the Oppo solely for DVD-Video, but if you expect to listen to DVD-A primarily and your existing player only handles SACD I'd consider letting the Oppo do everything. As for the way the two formats stack up, there's not a clearly superior audio quality format - some universal players (including my Yamaha) seem to handle DVD-Audio better, but that is purely a matter of the hardware. Both formats have proponents who claim it is the best sounding. SACD does have a larger catalog, and new DVD-Audio releases have really started to dry up lately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM