Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#56990 - 01/02/06 12:21 PM video switching issue
Relentless Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago,IL
I am having a problem that happens about 50% of the time.I am running my DVD player to DVI 2 input with a DVI cable and I am running my HD box to DVI input 1 with a HDMI to DVI cable.
When I switch to HD somtimes I will get sound but just snow on the display.I have found two ways to get the picture back when this happens which are either remove the HDMI cable from the back of the HD box and then attach it again or just turn the 990 on and off.It's not a huge problem just more of an inconvience as that my amps are on a 30 second delay so when I turn the pre/pro on and off I have to wait for them to restart.

Is this an issue with just my 990 or has others experienced this problem?
I guess I could switch the inputs and see if it happens on both of them,but are there any other suggestions?

Thanks..

#56991 - 01/02/06 01:19 PM Re: video switching issue
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

What kind of cable box, and what is your cable operator (Time Warner? Comcast? Charter, Adelphia, ???). The answer may have to do with the the way the software in the cable box works when it is not connected directly to a "sink device" (fancy lingo for the last device in a chain). Do you have any other HDMI or DVI product connected and are there any problems there?

#56992 - 01/02/06 01:24 PM Re: video switching issue
Relentless Offline
Gunslinger

It is a Directv HD reciever H10 and the 5910 is connected to the other dvi input.I am not experiencing any problem with the DVD player.

#56993 - 01/02/06 02:14 PM Re: video switching issue
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It sounds like the satellite box is having trouble with HDCP handshake. I was going to ask if it continued if you cycled the HD box of and back on, but the Directv box probably doesn't have a power button.

Curious problem, and one that I haven't heard about. I'm not using my cable box's DVI output because it is so fussy about HDCP handshakes that it gave brief error messages even when connected directly to the TV (and because the component output looks just as good as DVI), but I tried it with DVI switching briefly back when I got the 990 and it didn't have any more trouble than it did with a direct connection.

#56994 - 01/02/06 02:33 PM Re: video switching issue
Ritz Offline
Desperado

Loc: NJ/Beijing
I get a similar issue with my Cablevision HD box. When connected directly to my new LCD, it works. If I insert the 990 in the chain, it fails and refuses to output video on the DVI port claiming my display is not HDCP compliant (which is false). So I'm temporarily forced to abandon the DVI switching of my 990 and go to component wiring.

I wonder what is involved to get the 990 to properly deal with being transparent from an HDCP standpoint?

Cheers,

#56995 - 01/02/06 03:43 PM Re: video switching issue
Relentless Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
It sounds like the satellite box is having trouble with HDCP handshake. I was going to ask if it continued if you cycled the HD box of and back on, but the Directv box probably doesn't have a power button.

Curious problem, and one that I haven't heard about. I'm not using my cable box's DVI output because it is so fussy about HDCP handshakes that it gave brief error messages even when connected directly to the TV (and because the component output looks just as good as DVI), but I tried it with DVI switching briefly back when I got the 990 and it didn't have any more trouble than it did with a direct connection.
the problem dosent correct it self when turning the HD box on and off.also, this problem never happened when the HD box was connected strait to the TV.

#56996 - 01/02/06 04:19 PM Re: video switching issue
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Relentless, have you tried turning the TV off and back on? I'm curious to see it power-cycling devices other than the 990 makes a difference.

Ritz, I was under the impression that the 990's switching was designed to be an HDCP-compliant switcher. For most users, it seems to "play nice" with HDCP. I wonder if your cable box's HDCP support is a bit off; I know mine is to at least a degree, and when I was researching HD boxes back in early 2004 it seemed that cable boxes often had a hard time doing HDCP exactly right.

#56997 - 01/02/06 04:28 PM Re: video switching issue
Relentless Offline
Gunslinger

yes I have tried the TV on and off I also tried switching the inputs back and forth on the 990 from dvd to HD a few times to see if it would come back without having to turn the unit on and off but nothing.it is strange that it dosent follow a pattern that i can tell it is just sometimes it works and sometimes not.

#56998 - 01/02/06 04:41 PM Re: video switching issue
PodBoy Offline
Gunslinger

It seems as though your DirecTV box is having a problem similar to what others are reporting (elsewhere and with other devices) when using the SA 8300 cable boxes. The problem isn't the reciever or processor -- no matter whose it is -- but rather with the fact that the source device does not play well when it is not connected directly to a sink (your display).

There are reports that the SA box has a software upgrade that fixes this, but the DirecTV box may not. I'm not familiar with the model numbers other than for the 10250, which is the DirecTV/TiVo unit. Is your's one of the original Hughes models or the newer MPEG-4 box from DirecTV? You might want to call customer service at DirecTV and see if they have any suggestions.

#56999 - 01/02/06 04:50 PM Re: video switching issue
jmacari Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Rhode Island
I recently purchased a 990 (haven't set it up yet-waiting on 7125). I also have a H10 Directv receiver in my current setup. With this setup, I just connect directly from monitor to Directv receiver....Just wondering if most people connect their display with components/DVI from cable/directv receiver to 990 than back out to display... or directly to display. I also tried DVI(display) to Sat receiver (HDMI)- and didn't notice any difference with my display (RPTV); so i went back to component cabling. I was thinking about purchasing another DVI cable and using the 990 switching for TV display ...maybe I'll just stick with component cabling if their may be a problem with the H10/990 HDMI/DVI.
Anthem MRX-500/ Outlaw 7500, Paradigm Studio 100's Fronts, Paradigm CC-590 Center, Phase Technology Dipole rears , Martin Logan Dynamo sub, Oppo BDP-103, DIRECTV H22-200 DVR HD receiver, Samsung PN60E8000 3D Plasma 60"
2nd System
B&K ST 202 Amp, Outlaw 990, Rotel RCD 1072CD, Yaqin CD 1 Tube Buffer, Apogee Centaur Minors, Phase Technology Model 10 Sub, Rotel RP-855 turntable, Panasonic DMP-BD30, DIRECTV H21-700 DVR HD receiver, Free Agent Home Theatre+, Vizio 40" LED

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 218 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts