To center channel or not to center channel that is the question

Posted by: wichita

To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/03/08 08:57 AM

ok I'm up late and was thinking "I wonder how many of the people in here use a center channel and how many don't".Personally I do not use a center channel ......... I have one and used it off and on for over 2 years(paradigm cc350) but more times than not I would turn it off because it just didn't sound seamless with my other speakers and I couldn't use a normal speaker (paradigm monitor3's aren't shielded).But the paradigm's image so well I'm pretty satisfied with the sound.So chime in and lets here whether your running a center channel or not lets just say I'm curious.
Posted by: gonk

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/03/08 12:58 PM

Center channel here.
Posted by: KOYAAN

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/03/08 02:15 PM

Center channel aye.
I'm runnimg Polk RT2000s so the center imaging from just the mains needs a little help, especially for movie dialog.
Posted by: Videodrome

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/03/08 02:27 PM

Center channel here too. It's matched to my mains, so it integrates well.
Posted by: mahansm

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/03/08 02:40 PM

Center channel here also. I started in stereo with just the Kef 107's. The XQ2c is a good match and meshes well with the midrange/high frequency of the mains.

By the way; shielding on the speakers is only necessary for a CRT display and I see you're using a plasma. These aren't affected by the stray magnetic fields of a speaker.

Experiment: Take a strong magnet (one from an old disk drive is ideal) and, from about 3 feet away, approach a CRT display slowly. Notice the color distortion as the magnet approaches. Be careful not to approach too closely, as it is quite possible to magnetize the grid behind the screen, leaving semi-permanent color distortions. On a old black and white set this is not a problem and you can safely induce huge distortions in the picture.

Repeat for a flat panel or rear projection. No effect, as there's no electron beam to distort.
Posted by: Hullguy

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/03/08 05:58 PM

Center Channel
Posted by: tmdlp

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/03/08 06:12 PM

Center channel
Posted by: BloggingITGuy

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/03/08 06:22 PM

Center channel...can't do home theater properly without it.
Posted by: psyprof1

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/03/08 06:25 PM

Center channel intended this year but not at the top of my priority list. My Maggies image so well I don't miss it when sitting near the middle listening to music but from an off-center position the displacement of the sound image is too obvious for my taste when watching TV or DVDs. I hope the MMG-C will solve the problem but of course that means another amplifier.
Posted by: UMtiger

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/03/08 08:17 PM

Center channel here also
Posted by: loopy

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/03/08 10:40 PM

Center channel here too.
Posted by: openhelix

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/03/08 11:03 PM

Center here as well
Posted by: wichita

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/04/08 12:29 AM

Quote:
By the way; shielding on the speakers is only necessary for a CRT display and I see you're using a plasma. These aren't affected by the stray magnetic fields of a speaker.
Yes I know this.I started with a sony 36"crt TV so I couldn't use a monitor 3 for a center and now my fireplace is in the way so I'll be doing without the center.
Posted by: slbenz

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/04/08 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by psyprof1:
Center channel intended this year but not at the top of my priority list. My Maggies image so well I don't miss it when sitting near the middle listening to music but from an off-center position the displacement of the sound image is too obvious for my taste when watching TV or DVDs. I hope the MMG-C will solve the problem but of course that means another amplifier.
As another Magnepan owner, I use an Eminent Technology LFT-XII for my center. I demoed Magnepan and Martin Logan centers with my IIIa but the ET integrated the best for me. Because it is not only me listening to my home theater, the center channel is necessary, I think, for all to enjoy the movie experience.

Slbenz
Posted by: RedSIinPA

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/04/08 02:54 PM

Center here - matched to my mains. Essential to HT viewing for me, not essential to music.
Posted by: Paul J. Stiles

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/16/08 05:08 AM

No center channel for me. My fronts are Acoustat 2+2s and the rears are 1+1s. I am thinking about making a center channel speaker out of extra Acoustat parts I have.

Paul
the1derful1
Posted by: Altec

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/16/08 03:13 PM

Center that uses the same HF horn, but I rarely use it.
Posted by: Brandon B

Re: To center channel or not to center channel that is the question - 01/20/08 12:49 AM

Another maggie user with no center. As the others noted, the image definitely floats off to one side if you are not seated centrally, and I will eventually get one, but with the pulldown screen and the RPTV, nowhere for it to live in the system right now. So I'd say if you can have one, get one. Unless you always listen alone.

BB