In another thread , discussing hum, I wrote about a buzzing sound:

I have a wind-turbine which generates electricity. It is connected to the power company. It feeds and/or we draw. When production exceeds consumption the meter runs backward and we "receive credit". In fact for some months we only pay the connection charge. It does substantially reduce our bill.

billyTHEkid asked for more information:

can you give us some information on your wind turbines. How much they cost, how much power do you get, brand name, do they provide you with electricity 24/7. and so on...

GONK suggested I start a thread when he wrote:

f there's enough interest, you guys could start a thread in The Badlands to kick around alternative energy sources like wind power. It's a pretty interesting topic that I haven't really even poked around in for a decade or so, and never in any sort of practical application like nfaguys is running.

So I guess I will, so here goes the start: In 1999, wondering about future power outages, and, living in Northern Maine where they can occur I got to thinking about non-grid electricity. Yes, I had a diesel generator on standby, though back-fed thru the panel at the beginning (later changed to an automatic transfer switch (ATS). Prior to that time I only had to use it once, but then I got to thinking about what would happen in a real (natural or un-natural) disaster KINDA LIKE KATRINA of late. I thought that so long as fossil fuels could be delivered we'd be OK, but if the infrastructure (i.e. supply-delivery etc) evaporated/disintegrated etc my power generation would only last a finite time, so I sought other means. Fortunately we live "out in the country" on a "farm" with lots of acres. The only zoning or building restrictions were EPA (couldn't pollute) and possibly air-traffic patterns. Checked out the traffic pattern and even a 200' tower was OK at our location. I then checked with code enforcement of our town. They had had no previous inquiries and said OK to a 120' tower. Of course I got it in writing. More: next post.
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3