Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player...

Posted by: fmcorps

Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 07/07/02 09:15 PM

Hey guys,

Any Idea how I would use the 5.1 outputs for both a SACD player and a DVD-A Player? I know there is one 5.1 analog input, but I'ld like to use both in the near future. I dont own the 950 yet, but I'm courious if anyone has any ideas on how this could work when I get everything in the home and hooked up in the future.

Jason
Posted by: psklenar

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 07/08/02 08:04 AM

I've read of a few folks using the Sony TA-P9000ES preamp for this purpose. It's got multiple 5.1 and stereo analog inputs with bypass. I know that Merc has one. I believe it's a discontinued product, but they still seem to be available if you search around.

------------------
pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair
Posted by: gonk

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 07/08/02 08:11 AM

I have also heard of people using several Radio Shack switches -- it comes up from time to time on Home Theater Forum. There's also someone at HTF who has apparently built some six-channel switch boxes. Both are probably somewhat less expensive than the Sony TA-P9k, although also not as flexible as the Sony.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review
Posted by: surroundophile

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 07/08/02 12:02 PM

I've been considering this problem some time for myself. I presently have DVD-Audio & the output from a Quadraphonic preamp (only 4 channels). What I plan to do when I finally get my processor, is use two video switch boxes I bought for $15 each on ebay. They have selection for three sorces, consisting of L/R audio & video. That's 3 channels x 2 units = 6 (5.1) channels. The only thing not convienient is having to push two switches instead of one.
Other options: the Sony preamp mentioned above (that just came out this year - I can't believe it's been discontinued already).
The top of the line Denon reciever has two 5.1 channel inputs.
Or sell your dvd-Audio & SACD players and get the all-in-one Pioneer DV-47a (my plan - to get SACD)

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 07/08/02 12:03 PM

thanks Gonk, i appriciate the info. I'll do some snooping and see what I can find at the shack.

-Jason

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 07/08/02 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surroundophile:

Other options: the Sony preamp mentioned above (that just came out this year - I can't believe it's been discontinued already).

Yea, Believe it. The CE775 SACD Player was just released a year to a year and a half ago and it's been discontinued, which is a shame, since it's an exelent entry level SACD player. (And it was under $200 for a while to boot.

I know there are a couple of all in one players out there, but the ones I've seen were a little out of my budget. That Pioneer sure looks tempting though...
Jason

[This message has been edited by fmcorps (edited July 08, 2002).]
Posted by: raceone

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 07/09/02 05:04 PM

I've had the Pioneer 47A for about 2 months now and have nothing but good things to say about it. Bought it online for about $700+.

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 08/05/02 12:54 AM

Mwa-hahahahaha

We'll i'm laughing like a diabolical idiot because I am. I finaly figured out to use six rat shack rca-y adapters. With just a little fenagling with my remote I can now use a digital optical ine for my DTS/DD, PCM feed from my CD player, and a split 6 channel between my DVD-A player and SACD. (I'm using a sony ce775 SACD player which has the optical out, and a JVC F95 DVD-A (I'm waiting to see if the denon DVM 4800 will be replacing the Genisis chipset with a Silicon Image chip like they have with the rest of their players.)

HE HE HE HE HE....
Posted by: Matthew Hill

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 08/05/02 05:25 PM

Does that actually work? What happens if you have both ON at once?

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net
Posted by: sdurani

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 08/05/02 05:40 PM

Quote:
What happens if you have both ON at once?
You experience a new 10.2 channel format?

BTW, if you need to switch between two 5.1 channel sources, you may want to consider one of these nifty little switchboxes:

http://home.attbi.com/~shawnfogg/

Best,
Sanjay

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 08/06/02 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani:
[QUOTE][b]What happens if you have both ON at once?

Err, I've never tried it, and I'm quite afraid if I do. It's kind of like the M.A.D. stratedgy during the cold war, and I dont have the cahonas to try it...though perhapse with a few brews under my belt...

Right now I'm just happy I came up with a solution to my problem, and thankfully with just a flick of a button, I can switch from simple PCM/DD/DTS/DSD/MLP sound with just a minor swithc of a few buttons.

BWAHAHAHA...

Although I am scared what a few martini's will do to me...

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 08/06/02 01:48 AM

Oh, I never answered the question weither it works or not.

Yes, surprisingly it does work. You just have to make certain that you select the multi-channel analog input when you listen. I had to work with my remote a little bit in order to have it tell my reciever when I was listening to DVD-A, (with the 5.1 channel input) SACD (5.1 channel input) CD (PCM Digital input, or DVD's (DD and DTS Digital input) it's a bit of a micos nightmare, but once you get everything set up you are good to go. Like I said before, it was a bit of a hastle setting everything up, but now it's a sheer format dream.

-Jason
Posted by: Kevin C Brown

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 08/06/02 09:07 PM

I remember someone posting on HTF a while ago who tried this using Y splitters. (Well, in this case, "combiners" ! )

That person posted that the input level was way reduced when she/he had both inputs occupied vs just one. Sounded like he was changing the input impedance the pre/pro input was seeing.

Maybe it was specific to that setup, but something to watch for...

In essence, having that level reduced, and then having to compensate by raising the volume, you might end getting a higher noise floor along with the goodness of pure analog!
Posted by: Everett

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 08/07/02 08:55 AM

I like the switchbox Sanjay has listed. I think I would go this route. It can be a little messy and awkward going the patchwork method. These guys seem to have done there homework, but a little pricey!
Posted by: Matthew Hill

Re: Using an SACD player and DVD Audio Player... - 08/07/02 11:57 AM

Yes, $200 does seem a bit pricey for the convenience of a remote trigger. I'd go Rat Shack, I think. They're all passive switches, and so shouldn't do too much to the signal one way or the other.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net