Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44884 - 01/31/03 10:14 AM Happy Birthday, 950!!
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

I just realized that today, January 31, 2003, represents the one year mark for my acquisition of "Beta Unit #1".

Happy Birthday, 950. You've come a long way.

It's been an interesting and enjoyable trip. Those of you who have followed this from the start know what we all went through as Beta testers but the proof is in the pudding. Now that the wrinkles have been worked out of the 950 people are experiencing what I first heard 365 days ago.

2002 was an eventful year for me, but one of my fonder memories has been this whole 950 experience. Especially gratifying has been sitting on the sidelines and watching as some of the most vocal 950 "bashers" (if that's not too harsh a word - I don't mean it disrespectfully) have finally come over to the camp of 950 supporters and, in many cases, are now owners.

The 950 may not be for everyone, but it certainly remains to me a fine example of a product that provides a tremendous price erformance ratio. Any new products coming down the pike, in my estimation, owe a bit of their price structure to the 950 (as well as to the economies of scale and the ever present march forward of technology.)

Once again, Happy Birthday 950.

Enjoy!

------------------
RAF

My HT (latest update 04/17/02) Now includes Outlaw 950 and Outlaw 755

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

#44885 - 01/31/03 12:04 PM Re: Happy Birthday, 950!!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It has indeed been quite a year for the 950. I remember closely following the reports from RAF and the other beta testers (mainly RAF and merc) during the wait for the first 950's to ship, chomping at the bit to get my own 950 to listen to. It's been a pretty wild ride, through beta tests and red dots and blue dots... Thanks for helping to kick the year off with your beta reports and answers last year, RAF. Checking out your 950 page is a nice bit of nostalgia...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#44886 - 01/31/03 12:45 PM Re: Happy Birthday, 950!!
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
gonk, thanks for the link!

RAF, that spaghetti factory is downright SCARY!!!!eek

And mine is even worse!

#44887 - 01/31/03 03:01 PM Re: Happy Birthday, 950!!
willscary Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New London, WI, USA
RAF, every bit as important as the 950's birthday is your well-being. I was sorry to hear of your loss, and am very happy to see you lurking here again. I wish you the very best of luck in the future.

By the way, It was you, more than anybody, who turned me to the 950. After hearing Gonk rave about the 1050, that was my original choice. Because of you I waited for the 950, and boy am I glad I did.

Thanks again, RAF.

#44888 - 01/31/03 05:29 PM Re: Happy Birthday, 950!!
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, all. As the Chinese say, "we live in interesting times" and 2002 was the best of times and the worst of times, to say the least for me and my family.

I'm doing fine now and still actively following most threads. I'm enjoying family, friends and new relationships and prefer to follow the advice that "life is for the living" instead of dwelling on the past. Memories are better considered fondly instead of as lamentations.

On the matter of the 950, rather than making excessive comments like I did when I was one of the few people to actually have one of the early 950s I've maintained my position of letting the unit speak for itself, warts and all. I knew that what I was hearing would definitely be worth the wait and I think it's more important to let other owners voice their opinions, pro and con, rather than trying to defend a piece of equipment that was, at one time, in short supply.

I feel good knowing that experience is proving that what I said wasn't hogwash after all. It got a bit dicey for a while, but I have a thick skin and didn't take any of this personally (even though some people tried to get me to take the bait.)

The Old Dude abides!

------------------
RAF

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

#44889 - 01/31/03 08:46 PM Re: Happy Birthday, 950!!
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
RAF: my 950 experience began with finding and reading your beta test review.

it was worth the wait. i've met many a smart ht-o-phile along the way, learned volumes on the subject and am now very happily enjoying the sights and sounds.

it IS good to see you back here and very hard to believe it's been a year.

#44890 - 02/03/03 01:30 AM Re: Happy Birthday, 950!!
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
[i]RAF: my 950 experience began with finding and reading your beta test review[i/]
Pretty much partialy my own experience. I found Outlaw early on when I started researching AV and the willingness of this forum to share time with someone like me was my personal hook.
I blame every subsequent purchase (but for my first) in all of audio/video on the excitment that the0 Outlaw company and community sparked for me, not least of, - factoring that something about the incredible bargain for service and function. And additionaly the class and knowledge of many, many people who have become interested in Outlaw products maintained an intrigue level which fueled my desire to try to learn.

I watched the heated debates (wars?) between the Beta testers and their questioners. Including many who hoped Outlaw would fail, I believe that casual observers might not be aware how many competitors appear capable and willing to manipulate the golden opportunities, forum access creates, in an attempt to thwart a company like Outlaw’s success. Due to the display of a hidden agenda of certain posters barely masked as if they are just ‘arguing pro’s and cons’ of the product. Although I have watched some who are talented, canny and sly and others on occasion with a laughably transparent goal ( if you follow posts for any length of time). Propagating controversy in your life as a Beta tester rather similar to the effects of a roller coaster. I’d be willing to bet engendering probably one of your most severe feedback question and answer sessions with the 950 over most products you have previous consented to test.

Thanks for your hard work, perseverance, and patience during that violate time…making for very good reading, which cemented my desire to learn more.

Glad to see your post name again. Hope that all for you; - is as well as can be expected, - for this momentous past year you have had.

Thank You.
MMS

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited February 03, 2003).]

#44891 - 02/03/03 10:05 AM Re: Happy Birthday, 950!!
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
Boy, RAF, wasn't that cruise fun? Man I want to go again.

------------------
Philip Hamm

#44892 - 02/03/03 11:14 AM Re: Happy Birthday, 950!!
Robert A. Fowkes Offline
Gunslinger

SLL: Thanks for the kind words. Yes, 2002 was a roller coaster ride.

Phil: Speaking of rides, I'm reminded of the days of my youth at Coney Island on the Cyclone when the "Re-ride: 25 cents" sign would appear at the end of the ride (I always took them up on this a couple of times each trip). Needless to say, I've already booked the 2003 HT Cruise and am looking forward to it.

------------------
RAF

My HT - Updated 05/29/07

#44893 - 02/03/03 11:35 AM Re: Happy Birthday, 950!!
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
RAF that reminds me. Have you received your 'Runco' projector that you won on that last cruise? If so ...do you like it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM