Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#39659 - 09/16/02 03:28 PM Got my 950, now the questions begin
Gary Stevens Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: People's Republic of Massachus...
Any help or clarifications will be greatly appreciated.

I've had the 950 hooked up for a few hours now and I have to say that I am quite favorably impressed with the audio quality! However, I would describe the user interface for configuration and operation to be a bit "quirky" (trying to be polite here).

My first question is one I posted a few months back, so I'll try again. Does anyone know if the 950's IR code set is backwards compatible to any device? If possible, I would like to program some of my "legacy" remotes to at least control the 950's volume. Think Tivo here. I'd REALLY like to be able to adjust volume from the peanut remote's buttons, but I can only pick from pre-programmed devices known by the Tivo remote.

Question two: Night Mode. From what I can tell so far, I can only enable and adjust night mode levels from the configuration menu (and even then only under certain conditions). Even though the remote has a "night" button, it appears to have no effect other than to bring up the OSD. It does not appear to cycle through night mode compression settings as described in the manual.

I was going to ask a third question about speaker size and crossovers but I just went back to re-read some bass management threads and my head hurts too much right now.

Thanks for any help,
Gary

#39660 - 09/16/02 04:32 PM Re: Got my 950, now the questions begin
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Dear Gary

Night mode will only work AT THE TIME you are receiving a DD or DD-EX source.

For example, if you are receiving a Satellite feed and are on a Stereo channel and then make sure you have Pressed AUD first so you are on that source then hit the night mode button on your remote it will do nothing, you just see the regular OSD.

I have not used it very often but when I do -When you are on a Satellite channel that is DD, and are on AUD source control. When you hit the night button, your OSD will show the normal menu, + at the bottom left of the display, (where the normal screen shows you Optical 1 etc. it will say NIGHT. At that time you hit the left/right arrows on your remote to scroll through the choices No Comp – DR COMP1 – DR COMP2 etc.
Hope this helps?

On the remote questions I still have not have time to program my current 5 or 6 into one. So I cant’ help you there although maybe some who have looked into it will reply?

[This message has been edited by Smart Little Lena (edited September 16, 2002).]

#39661 - 09/16/02 04:58 PM Re: Got my 950, now the questions begin
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Ah, good to see the questions -- means folks are setting equipment up.

As for the IR codes, I have no idea -- best bet would be to contact Outlaw directly to find out, but I suspect the answer is "no".

As for the night node, I haven't used it but I think the deal there is that it only works for some surround modes (so you can call up the night mode display any time, but may not always be able to turn it on).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited September 16, 2002).]

#39662 - 09/16/02 06:46 PM Re: Got my 950, now the questions begin
Gary Stevens Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks, folks. Lena, I'll give night mode another try as soon as I get home. How did you learn the secret handshake?

When I call the Outlaws about the IR code question, I'll also ask them about another IR related issue unless someone here knows. The 950 has two remote control jacks for "external sensors". OK, I'll bite. What voltage level? Can I plug the output from an IR distribution amp in here? Or is it a three contact jack with power, suitable for a Xantech IR receiver? I'll go way out on a limb - can I just plug in an IR photo diode?

Thanks again,
Gary

#39663 - 09/17/02 12:59 PM Re: Got my 950, now the questions begin
Gary Stevens Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Just to follow up . . .

Thanks Smart Little Lena, Night Mode works just as you describe. Given how it works, I'm a bit surprised that it also appears in a configuration menu. Rather pointless, IMHO.

Regarding the "remote control jacks for external sensors", according to Outlaw support these are two contact (i.e.: no power) jacks compatible with the output of IR distribution amps such as Xantech. So, connect the 950 in where you would normally plug in an IR flasher.

Also from Scott, unfortunately, the IR control code set is known to be unique. This means it is impossible to use any exisitng non-learning remote with the 950 (unless it explicitly supports the 950, which is unlikely). So . . . I can't control the 950's volume from my Tivo remote.

-Gary

#39664 - 09/17/02 04:47 PM Re: Got my 950, now the questions begin
Trekkie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wake Forest, NC
Sounds like a perfect excuse for a Pronto if I ever heard one! I love mine.

There is a newer one with a few more 'hard' buttons that might be to your liking. Remotecentral.com is all abuzz about it.

I'm waiting for a color version of the new one, and then I'll upgrade. I have the original one now. I've had it for three years, still going strong.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts