Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#43610 - 12/29/02 02:35 AM upgrade from 1050?
Hoots Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Flower Mound, TX USA
After positioning my speakers more appropriately and replacing my DVD player I think I've come to enjoy the 1050 for both movies and music, but I was wondering what I would gain by upgrading to 950/Outlaw amp (in terms of sound...I can see the feature deltas)? For movies I'm pretty happy but for music I think there is a never ending game of seeking improvements.

I have a 15' wide room, 20' deep. I sit 9.5' from my Klipsch Cornwall speakers. I have a DVD player, PS2 game, and turntable with plans for DirecTV/TiVO in the future. I also need a better phono stage. I'm currently using my old receiver connected tot the AUX inputs.

I have a restored/upgraded Dynaco ST70 and I wonder if that would add any value for 2-channel music and power for the front channels of the 950? Or, maybe a 950/750 would be plenty for both movies and 2-channel music?

#43611 - 12/29/02 05:58 AM Re: upgrade from 1050?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
The 950 has more current processing, which I think you already know. I haven't heard a 1050 so I can't comment on what sound improvements you would get. I would however put that Dynaco on your front Left and Right speakers NOW. The Cornwalls are pretty efficient, so I think the 35 watts/channel would be OK, asssuming you don't listen at insane levels. The tube amps have a much "richer" class A/B bias than any solid state amp, and crossover artifacts are less because of it. There's also less global feedback. One characteristic of tube amps that solid state ones almost never can match is the fact that what distortion components are generated are in a more perfect phase relationship with the original signal. Also the 3rd harmonic is dominant with little beyond that. Several reasons tube amps sound so good

Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM