Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#37126 - 06/03/02 07:41 PM Sound & Vision review
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That's right, crew. Sound & Vision reviewed the 950 in the July/August issue. From what I understand, the review is pretty positive.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#37127 - 06/03/02 08:04 PM Re: Sound & Vision review
EFSIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Upstate, New York
Yep...it's true. (they must have gotten mine by accident).
It's pretty positive and very subjective. The reviewer liked the buttons and knobs and never alluded to any "harshness" or "brightness". It didn't say what speakers or amp he was using.
Pretty much said what has already been said.....great pre/pro with alot of features for the money.

#37128 - 06/03/02 08:07 PM Re: Sound & Vision review
ctbarker32 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Kensington, MD, USA
Interestingly, the review notes in the measurements the 950's subpar noise levels. By about 4db they figure. I found it interesting that the review (of a $300 Panasonic receiver) following the 950 had better noise measurements than the 950. I'm sure the Outlaws will have a spin for this one as well!

-CB

#37129 - 06/03/02 08:18 PM Re: Sound & Vision review
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
subpar noise levels = hiss, HISS or hIsS?

Hopefully my issue is at home when I get there...

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#37130 - 06/03/02 09:07 PM Re: Sound & Vision review
bigmac Offline
Gunslinger

I thought Outlaw was holding out on review units until everyone on the list had theirs?? For that review to be in print, they must have gotten one of the very first units.

#37131 - 06/03/02 11:36 PM Re: Sound & Vision review
Legairre Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Waterbury, CT
So does this confirm the hiss problem? It's not just people's hearing. It sounds like a subpar noise floor on the 950 has been comfirmed by actual test equipment.

Maybe this is why people are saying outlaw has stopped shipping. Maybe their trying to fix the problem.

#37132 - 06/04/02 01:35 PM Re: Sound & Vision review
azryan Offline
Gunslinger

Sound and vision sucks.

It's little more than a display for ads that they call 'reviews'.

They compare nothing directly to other products, and they dislike nothing.

Half of the products they review now-a-days are very low-fi. HTiB systems. Lots of receivers. Crappy in-wall speaker shoot outs, tiny low end sub shootouts.
Notice even in the shootouts they never declare a winner when the specs and prices usually show a clear one.
They almost never reivew anything that's high end as if nothing's better than a powerful receiver with the DSP 'works'.

Their speaker reviews are the most pathetic of all.

They'll say a speaker system makes you feel like you're in the middle of the battle while watching Braveheart. Wow. That's very imformative. I know a lot more about that specific speaker now.

Then you look at the tiny freq. response inset section, and it shows the speakers to be wildly un-flat. Horrible response by anyone's defenition, yet they don't mention they heard that in the review.
They'll note minor opinion sounding preference sounding flaws at most.

I got a free 3 year subsc. 2 years ago, and have yet to read any review that wasn't a total joke.

Check out their new product section. It's nothing more than word for word copies of companies press releases, w/ S&V doing nothing what-so-ever to verify the claims made. The AT 950 clone was featured in there last year.
I've seen lots of products there that never ended up even coming to market. Like the RCA and Samsung LCoS RPTVs.

Sorry to sound so raving, but that's how worthless I feel a S&V review of the 950 is, and thought people should know where these reviews come from -ad money, and very little integrity to be even slightly honest in a review of any product.

#37133 - 06/04/02 02:07 PM Re: Sound & Vision review
Jed M Offline
Desperado

Loc: Home on the range
Seems like everyone is pretty excited about this review!!!

#37134 - 06/04/02 03:17 PM Re: Sound & Vision review
John C Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cheyenne, WY
Sound and Vision is the remnants of Stereo Review and Video, if I recall correctly. Stereo Review has been terrible since about the mid-eighties. You might as well use Consumer Reports, which is totally useless for any enthusiast item.

#37135 - 06/04/02 04:31 PM Re: Sound & Vision review
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Ha. Consumer reports is a great magazine to consult, if you plan on repeatedly stepping on, baking, soaking, dropping, freezing, etc. whatever product you're considering buying. They'll tell you which one breaks first.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 319 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM