Idle Watts

Posted by: Josuah

Idle Watts - 05/12/05 12:56 AM

I've got a minor situation where the default 12V trigger behavior on my Yamaha RX-V1400 will turn off my 7100 when I switch to multi-channel input. (Only way to fix it is with discrete codes and I don't have a programmable remote.)

I was wondering if anyone knows how many watts the 7100 will use when idle? If it's pretty low, I may just leave the amp on all the time.
Posted by: braidkid

Re: Idle Watts - 05/12/05 04:15 PM

To add to this question, is it advisable to leave the amp on all the time vs. shutting it off when not in use?
Posted by: painttoad

Re: Idle Watts - 05/12/05 06:22 PM

i leave my b& k amp on.
i'll kinda quote soundhound in saying that:as long as there is adequate ventilation no life should be lost

some amps actually have a spec in the manual @idle

Re: Idle Watts - 05/13/05 12:21 AM

I didn't see anything in the 7100 manual specifications section to indicate idle power use. I'm more interested in trying to calculate how much this would add to my electrical bill, rather than if it would overheat. :p
Posted by: Wharf Rat

Re: Idle Watts - 05/13/05 12:48 AM

I have a kill-a-watt and checked my 7100 when I first received it. I was rather surprised to see it was slightly over 100 watts at idle. With the energy crisis this country and the world will be facing in the years ahead I could never in good conscience leave this, or any other device turned on for no good reason. So the 7100 is on when I am listening to it and off the rest of the time.

BTW, max current draw is 1200W but it is not likely most will get anywhere near this figure with average speakers at normal listening levels.

Re: Idle Watts - 05/13/05 02:10 AM

100W idle is a lot. I'll be keeping it off too.
Posted by: trikos

Re: Idle Watts - 05/13/05 04:20 PM

You could use the 12v switch in the 990 to turn it off automatically.

Maybe that can be your reason to upgrade.. wink

Re: Idle Watts - 05/14/05 05:22 AM

An expensive solution to such a small problem. :p
Posted by: trikos

Re: Idle Watts - 05/17/05 08:09 PM

If you do the energy cost per day thing, you could probably justify the 990 in five years or so.. wink