I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone.

Posted by: Thenotsonewguy

I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone. - 01/22/02 03:39 AM

Look I mean no offense but the 1050 is just not for me. A friend of mine knows someone that has one and I went to go and check it out. Good sound, good amount of power, and just over all a very good product. But I was able to get over a 100 dollar discount at Circuit City on an Onkyo TX-DS595 or a Harman Kardon AVR-210. No offense to Outlaw owners but to me the only advantage the Outlaw had over the Onkyo and Harman Kardon is that it is 6.1 and I can't justify buying a receiver just because it has one extra channel. Since I'm a big music person and I saw these receivers had Dolby Pro Logic 2 and that was the killer blow to the Outlaw in my opinion. If the 1050 came with Dolby Pro Logic 2 then I would have went with Outlaw for sure. But who knows I may come back to Outlaw in time, it is just I won't be buying the 1050.

The not so new guy signing off.

Good Bye and enjoy the music.

PS Later today I will go to CC and choose a receiver and I will make a post here saying how it went.
Posted by: gonk

Re: I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone. - 01/22/02 07:47 AM

You aren't offending any of us. Best of luck at Circuit City.

------------------
Gonk
Posted by: Hockeyfan6781

Re: I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone. - 01/22/02 08:03 AM

I've demoed both of these before I got my Yamaha, Personally I'd go with the Onkyo..Your familiar with the onkyo quality, plus it has more power than the HK.. Eirther one would be a good choice though
Posted by: Hockeyfan6781

Re: I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone. - 01/22/02 08:04 AM

Another thing that swayed me away from the 1050,is that I've read that it has some real bass management issues, how do these rate in handling the low end??
Posted by: Hullguy

Re: I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone. - 01/22/02 08:17 AM

The Bass sounds fine to me.
Posted by: gonk

Re: I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone. - 01/22/02 08:46 AM

Hockeyfan may be thinking of the bass problems Jay-1 had, but those were apparently the result of a defective unit (I think he said that Outlaw shipped him a new unit yesterday). I've generally only heard good things about the 1050's bass management

------------------
Gonk
Posted by: Owl's_Warder

Re: I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone. - 01/22/02 10:34 AM

No offense taken! Good luck with your purchase. Would love to hear what you get and how you like it.

And I haven't had any problems with the bass management either. My unit sounds great.
Posted by: Mark

Re: I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone. - 01/22/02 11:43 AM

Ditto on having no bass management problems. The 1050 gives me great bass. If I decided on not getting a receiver because someone said had a particular problem, then I would never buy one.

• Denon has problems
• Onkyo has problems
• HK has problems
• Sony has problems
• Marantz has problems
• Yamaha has problems
• Ect, ect, ect

But for what you get with the price, the 1050 is hard to beat - IMHO.
Posted by: charlie

Re: I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone. - 01/22/02 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thenotsonewguy:
Look I mean no offense but the 1050 is just not for me.

I'm sure not offended. That's why they make different brands - so everyone can be happy.

Quote:
...to me the only advantage the Outlaw had over the Onkyo and Harman Kardon is that it is 6.1 and I can't justify buying a receiver just because it has one extra channel.

I have to say - since getting used to the 6.1 stuff, when it's not there I really miss it. Nothing like seeing Lara Croft shoot toward you, hear the gun in front and the bullets whoosh ing past, hitting behind you.

Turning off the center surround is a noticable degradation in the sound.

Charlie
Posted by: Thenotsonewguy

Re: I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone. - 01/22/02 02:07 PM

I agree Mark the Outlaw is hard to beat at this price but I already know what to expect from Onkyo or Harman Kardon. I decided to take back my Onkyo TX-8511 and go for either the Onkyo or the Harman Kardon. Now I only have to choose between two different products now.

Chris
Posted by: Jay-1

Re: I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone. - 01/22/02 04:02 PM

Yep Gonk is right. Outlaw is shipping me another receiver and will check it out when it gets here. I've been spoiled by my Sony's Bass Boost button, but am hard to believe that without it, all receiver would sound like the 1st Outlaw I've received that did not have a warm bottom end sound. I'm not looking for 20-30hz frequencies here, but the Sony was noticeably lower sounding. Oh well this could start a whole new section of opinionated posts.. Better get out of here : )
Posted by: bakkahead

Re: I have changed my mind, I will not be getting the Outlaw 1050, sorry everyone. - 01/22/02 09:59 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...to me the only advantage the Outlaw had over the Onkyo and Harman Kardon is that it is 6.1 and I can't justify buying a receiver just because it has one extra channel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just my 2¢, but I don't think the 6.1 is the biggest advantage of the Outlaw. There are many quality built products with comparable features including the Onkyo and Harmon Kardon. What set's Outlaw apart from it's competition is the way they support their products.

A friend of mine purchased a name brand receiver from one of the local volume electronics stores. About a month after he had it broke and since it was more than 30 days after he purchased it, the only option was to have it sent to the manufacturer's repair facility. Six weeks later he received someone else's CD player that was mixed up with his receiver and two weeks after that he finally got his receiver back.

During the two months my friend was without his receiver, something went wrong with my four month old 1050. I called Outlaw and spoke to a real person who helped me trouble shoot the problem. It was determined the unit should be sent back. I had a new 1050 at my door in less than 24 hours! My friend was sick with envy. He has vowed to take a serious look at Outlaw for his next purchase.

Good luck with which ever you decide on. I had an Onkyo TX-SV515 and just loved it. When it came time to replace it was a hard choice between a new Onkyo and the Outlaw. I tried the Outlaw because of the service and support I read about and was not disappointed.