Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4563 - 04/18/04 09:35 PM Anyone add an EQ?
vidgamer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Florida, USA
I mentioned previously that I was having issues with Prologic and the center channel. I have decided that my main issue at this point is my center speaker, and that the 1050 is working great. Regardless of the merits of Pro Logic steering, I think the center is the main problem; I am still thinking about trying the EQ, but not sure of exactly what to try. Hopefully, I'll be happy enough with the 1050 once I try that.

Is there any way to add an EQ to the 1050 (and to the center channel in particular) other than to use an external amp? (As it turns out, I have a stereo amp I was using to drive the mains, but it's kind of a waste if I only use it for the center. Although, I'm impressed by the 1050's ability to drive the mains, which probably are a bit of a tough load, being electrostatic speakers.)

#4564 - 04/19/04 08:27 AM Re: Anyone add an EQ?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm afraid that the only way to add an EQ to the center channel would be to put it between the 1050 and an external amp.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#4565 - 04/19/04 11:38 AM Re: Anyone add an EQ?
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

I gather you are unhappy with the center channel only. This tells me that the culprit probably is your center channel speaker. A good center channel speaker is not easy to get. The MTM on it's side is not as effective as the vertical speaker arrangement. The best center channel speaker would be the same as you have for the mains (including any surrounds). Especially if you are keen on multichannel music. For movies this is not a big deal; IMHO.

#4566 - 04/20/04 07:46 AM Re: Anyone add an EQ?
vidgamer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Florida, USA
MCH, I'm sure you're right about typical MTM center channels, but my problem is more significant than the orientation of the speaker! If you can't get the tone to match, it shows up more noticably than orientation, IMO.

I've found for some of the 5.1 music DVDs I have (videos), the center is not mixed very heavily, so most of the sound is coming from the mains anyway. (Turning off the mains, I was surprised how little signal was actually getting reproduced in the center in most cases!) So, for multichannel music, it really depends on the mixing how crucial the center is. Obviously, it should tone-match as much as possible, but past a point, I mean, it will not be like prologic where it throws so much into the center channel.

#4567 - 04/20/04 10:49 AM Re: Anyone add an EQ?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i have a very nice center channel myself, and have always had difficulty matching it properly to the other speakers when watching in any mode other than dts. soon my problems will be over (i presume) as my receiver is gone and the hole where it was is waiting to be filled. it was just a pro logic receiver, and i too always felt that the center was weak. as i watch movies mostly, my center is twice as nice as my mains, built in powered sub, etc. so its not my speaker either it is the decoding/encoding.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM