Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#3692 - 02/24/03 08:56 PM Sub placement
Trigger Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Ok, now I feel like an outlaw in every scene of the word. Let me explain. I came home to find my wife watching Anna and the King this Saturday night, I then pored myself a glass of wine and sat down to watch with her. After a short while, we noticed that every time an intense scene came and the volume roes there would be a laud banging sound coming from the ceiling. After some investigation I found that it was my neighbor that was hammering in the floor to protest the as she put it “laud rumbling”. I explained that our sound system was at a moderate level and that it was Saturday night after all. After several minutes of debating what was an appropriate sound level, she expressed she didn’t care for my display of art. Unfortunately she is going to have to learn to live with an Outlaw.

Oh, I almost forgot my question. Our room is 14x12 with 10ft ceilings I am using the JBL Simply Cinema 135 System which consist of 5 sat and a Sub with my 1050. My question, would it be appropriate to place the Sub against my back wall, which is made of concrete, to deaden the low frequency that are troubling my neighbor upstairs?

#3693 - 02/24/03 09:36 PM Re: Sub placement
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I live in a 3 bedroom apartment with 2 roommates who have yet to discover the wonders of home theater. One of them is a very lite sleeper who has interupted my movie watching quite often. He seems to mind a little bit less since I made one little, cheap tweak. That is, I put cut in half raquetballs underneath the sub. It really does reduce the rumbling in the room. These or maybe more expensive cones may help more than moving the sub. Also, putting a sub against a wall can add even more bass to a room.

#3694 - 02/24/03 09:40 PM Re: Sub placement
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
As Jason points out, isolating the sub from the floor, especially if you are not on the ground floor, can reduce structure borne transmission of the bass. Also, keeping it away from walls can keep the bass from exciting the wall as a "diaphram". Unfortunately, subs and neighbors don't mix very well

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#3695 - 02/24/03 09:57 PM Re: Sub placement
Trigger Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Tanks both for your advice and forgive my ignorance I am new to the home theater realm. What exactly do you mean by cones? Do you mean something made of cork or form? Is there some special contraption made of the same damping material found in Studios

#3696 - 02/25/03 05:10 PM Re: Sub placement
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Cones: Umm..the only ones that come to mind are made by a company called Black Diamond Racing. Basically, look up "isolation devices" at an online hi-fi shop. They're kinda like spikes you see under components. I'm sure some Outlaws around here can recommend some of the isolation tricks they use.

Damping material contraption: There are such things as bass diffusors but those don't really stop bass from spreading. They are used to get rid of extra bass or to stop standing waves (basically low frequencies that get multiplied in certain shaped rooms).
I do know that a company named Auralex makes a pad called the "Gramma." It can be used to isolate subwoofers. Here's a link:
http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_gramma/sound_isolation_gramma.asp

Hope all this helps!

#3697 - 02/25/03 09:26 PM Re: Sub placement
Trigger Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank Jason for the info. I when to the web site and it happens a local store (Sam Ash) carries that product. I will check it out this weekend. Oh, neighbor hasn’t companied so for this week.

#3698 - 03/13/03 12:15 AM Re: Sub placement
vidgamer Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Florida, USA
Placement definately can make a big difference. The bass seems a lot louder in our kitchen than a few feet away from the sub! That's what can happen when the waves start bouncing around... (My room is really horrible. It doesn't look like a square, because of the open floor plan design, but I think it is a bit too regular in part of it, and it amplifies certain frequencies.)

I have the sub in the corner which I think is supposed to amplify the bass, but it has been hard finding a location where the bass doesn't get all "sucked out" of the center position.

Gary

Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM