Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2289 - 06/12/02 11:21 PM speaker connections with 5.1 inputs
troll69a Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: ann arbor, mi usa
Can i connect a sub and main speakers to the speaker connections on the 1050 without blowing something up? I want to run my mains and sub while using the 5.1 front channel inputs so as to get the 1050 DAC out of the signal path. I realize i can just connect the 1050 to the sub and then connect the mains to the sub, but i'm just exploring options. Bottom line - can you connect two sets of speakers to one set of speaker outputs??

#2290 - 06/13/02 02:14 AM Re: speaker connections with 5.1 inputs
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
I suppose it could depend on your speakers, but I don't see this being a problem. That's how I have mine set up right now. Of course, I'm using a book shelf system so take that for what it's worth.

#2291 - 06/13/02 10:35 AM Re: speaker connections with 5.1 inputs
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Let me first make sure I'm following the wires properly (I'm a little groggy this morning): speaker wires from the 1050's left and right channels to the subwoofer, then from the subwoofer to the mains. In this scenario, assuming here that we're dealing with an unpowered subwoofer, you will be fine.

In this configuration, you won't be able to use the full 6 channels of the 5.1 input (no line-level sub output), but I'm guessing that you're using the 5.1 input as an analog bypass for a high quality two-channel source (CD, phone, or whatever) so the lack of a .1 output is completely irrelevent. For other listening purposes (DVD's and so forth), you'll want to set the mains to "large" and let the sub's crossover take care of dividing the signal between the sub and the mains. You'll also want to turn the sub off on the 1050, since there's nothing connected to the LFE output on the 1050.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited June 13, 2002).]

#2292 - 06/13/02 10:58 AM Re: speaker connections with 5.1 inputs
troll69a Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the advice guys. Gonk, i understand groggy. What my question was though, is whether i can hook the powered sub (Hsu VTF-2) AND my main speakers to the 1050 speaker outputs. Two pairs of speaker wires running to two pairs of speakers (if you count the sub as a pair)from one set of speaker outputs. THanks again, ld.

#2293 - 06/13/02 11:12 AM Re: speaker connections with 5.1 inputs
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
If you do that, then your speakers will receive a full-range signal, instead of a high-pass signal. This will result in the much-talked-about "double bass" situation from the 950 forum. Your sub will be receiving all the bass from the mains, and so will the mains. If that's what you want, then yes, this should work fine. I'm assuming, of course, that your sub has a built-in crossover.

If your sub is unpowered, you will probably want to set the imedance switch on the back of the 1050 to 4 ohms. If it's a powered sub, and your speakers are 8 ohms, then I think you'd want to leave it set to 8 ohms.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#2294 - 06/14/02 09:15 AM Re: speaker connections with 5.1 inputs
troll69a Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the input. I belatedly figured out it was easier just to use the front preamp outputs for the sub if i do go this route. groggy indeed.
thanks.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 237 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM