Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#1355 - 02/20/02 04:51 PM Frustration With Outlaw
newman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Well...

After corresponding and (mostly) listening to the various threads on this BB, I decided last week to take the splurge and order a 1050 based mostly on the good things folks here had to say.

I haven't yet received my receiver and my frustration with the level of customer service that Outlaw provides is growing incrementally.

On Friday morning I tried to place an order via the web form. It wasn't working properly and I called their toll free number instead. I was told the ONLY person who could process an order was out but that she would call me back. After some phone tag we finally connected. I was told I could place an order for a 1050 and it would ship that day. I then got a form email stating they were out of stock. I called back (more phone tag) to change my order to a "B" unit. Now I was told that it would ship the following Monday and I would receive a DHL tracking number via email.

Wednesday afternoon (Today!) rolls around and still no receiver and no tracking number. I call for status and am again told the ONLY person who can help me is out. Two hours later I finally get someone who tells me the product has not yet shipped but will ship tonight. I was told there is a *chance* that it will arrive tomorrow.

Gosh. In the commercial arena I have gotten used to same-day order fullfillment and overnight delivery. In the home consumer products arena I've gotten used to moderately competitive shipping rates. Outlaw seems to give me the worst of both worlds. By way of comparison, for exactly one fifth Outlaw's shipping fee I can order any receiver from Crutchfield and reliably have it at my door in two days.

If the receiver doesn't arrive tomorrow I intend to request a partial refund on that 55 dollar "overnight" shipping charge. I just hope the product turns out to be substantially better than the service I have received to date.

-Andy

#1356 - 02/20/02 05:17 PM Re: Frustration With Outlaw
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Ouch. It sounds like you placed your order just as their stock ran out, which may be part of the reason for the problems you've had. It's the first time that I'm aware of since they started shipping the 1050 that they've been out of inventory (traditionally, they've been amost frighteningly good about delivering equipment quickly -- I think both my 1050 and 750 arrived within 48 hours ). Hopefully you'll have your "B" stock unit soon, and I'm sure they'll do what they can to set things right for you.

------------------
Gonk

#1357 - 02/20/02 05:40 PM Re: Frustration With Outlaw
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I must say this is quite different from my customer service experience. I, too, ordered a 1050, and it arrived on my doorstep about 18 hours later. I had a minor problem with it after about a month (it refused to turn on, but other than that it was working fine) and they shipped me a replacement unit that same day. I shipped theirs back to then UPS ground and was reimbursed for my shipping charge.

Their shipping rates are high, yes (I paid $60 for DHL) but the units are HEAVY so I don't really blame them. I'm sure the money goes to DHL and isn't kept by Outlaw. Ever try to ship a 40 pound brick by any method?

I hope your Outlaw arrives soon and I'm sure you'll be pleased with it when it does.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

[This message has been edited by Matthew Hill (edited February 20, 2002).]

#1358 - 02/20/02 06:02 PM Re: Frustration With Outlaw
newman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Folks,

Thanks for the encouraging words. My hope is that when the unit does finally arrive, it will sound good enough to make me forget the early customer service missteps.

I am aware that overnight shipping is quite expensive. Just for the heck of it I got a DHL overnight quote to ship an item similar in size and weight from California to my home on the east cost. It would cost me 138 dollars! I am sure the shipping cost goes to the carrier. I wasn't implying that Outlaw was skimming some off of the top. If I thought they were dishonest I wouldn't do business with them. I'm just slightly frustrated.

-Andy

#1359 - 02/20/02 06:06 PM Re: Frustration With Outlaw
newman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

...aww heck...

Just as I was posting that last message the phone rang. It was Tom Young from Outlaw apologizing for being unable to get me a tracking number tonight but promising one first thing in the morning.

I'm starting to feel like my frustration was unwarranted...

-Andy (who can and will admit when he's wrong)

#1360 - 02/20/02 06:13 PM Re: Frustration With Outlaw
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Don't sweat it, Andy. It can be a real pain sometimes when you are trying to get something and the universe seems to conspire against you. The Outlaws typically take good care of their customers, though -- they should see to it that you get squared away.

------------------
Gonk

#1361 - 02/25/02 12:26 AM Re: Frustration With Outlaw
Elrond Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Houston, TX USA
Just wanted to say I've had nothing but good service from them. When I initially ordered my b-stock outlaw, i got it real soon, 1 day or 2 days later, i forget which.

I later had a problem with the source select buttons sticking. The next day after I called, much to my surprise there was a replacement unit waiting in my apartment office.

Cheer up, I'm sure they'll take care of you, and anything that went wrong was probably just a fluke.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM