Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#245 - 09/17/01 03:32 PM 1050 question to help in purchase decision - DTS-ES Matrix
skiproll Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

OK, so I have a question about DTS-ES Matrix and the 1050. I know that the 6.1 surround processor in the 1050 "correctly" decodes DD-EX 6.1 surround signals, and does not do anything with DTS-ES. I read the Outlaw Faq, and have posted the relevant entries at the bottom of this note. My question is, if you use the 5.1 direct input solution below, will the 1050 correctly discern the center rear channel from a DTS-ES MATRIX encoded soundtrack? Or is the does that just take a normal DTS signal and create a phantom rear signal?

Sorry for the convoluted question. Any help is appreciated.

Q. Will the 1050 play DTS-ES?
A. No. Due to the limited amount of software available for DTS-ES and the high
level of MIPS required to process it, it was not economical to include this
feature.

Q. Will the Surround 6.1 mode work with DTS soundtracks?
A. Unfortunately, no. The high level of processing required to decode DTS
signals prevents us from offering the Surround 6.1 mode in conjunction with
DTS. However, if you have a DVD player with built-in DTS processing, you may
experience the Surround 6.1 mode by using the player's decoder and connecting
it to the 1050 using the 5.1 Direct inputs.

#246 - 09/17/01 03:51 PM Re: 1050 question to help in purchase decision - DTS-ES Matrix
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I can't speak from experience, as the onboard decoder in my player does not support DTS (and isn't nearly as good as the 1050's decoder for DD, so it's not even hooked up), but my understanding of the second item in your post is that if you use the decoder in your DVD player you can use the Surround 6.1 mode to extract a matrixed center surround channel from the surround channels. As far as the 1050 would be concerned once it's using the 5.1 Direct inputs, the track is no longer either DTS or DD -- it's merely a 5.1 channel analog sound track. You might want to e-mail Outlaw and get their take on it, but that's the way I read it.

(Now, back to receiving an 88MB attachment via e-mail -- I can't wait to find out who the sender of this one is...)

Who's Online
0 registered (), 223 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM