Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#4048 - 04/29/03 09:01 AM External decoder for DPLII?
polonius Offline
Gunslinger

Sigh! Still undecided...

I'm really leaning towards purchasing the 1050, but the lack of DPLII support keeps nagging at me especially since I watch a lot of satellite sports programming. I have some VHS tapes, but my main concern is DPLII via satellite feed.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced external decoder that handles DPLII? Do any DVD players have DPLII decoding with analog inputs? [I know it may sound bizarre but my DVD player does have a set of inputs for handling a second dvd/cd player]. Do any satellite receivers support DPLII output?

For those that are interested, I was leaning towards either the HK325 or HK525 but the price of one of these in Canada via an authorized dealer (so that I would have a warranty) is about double the price of a 1050 (including shipping/duties/taxes etc.), so much for free trade . Even the HK225 is more expensive and although it has DPLII it's a 5.1 receiver with no pre-amp outs(besides sub channel), not much control over bass management and less power than the 1050. A nice feature though was the audio-direct mode, where any of the analog inputs can bet set up to bypass all of the DAC processing, I believe only the 5.1 inputs on the 1050 bypasses DAC processing.

Thanks,
Howard

#4049 - 04/29/03 10:00 AM Re: External decoder for DPLII?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I don't know of an external Pro Logic II decoder at any price, reasonable or pricey. Doesn't mean they're not out there, but if they are they aren't getting much attention. I also don't know of any DVD players with PLII decoding (DD and DTS is somewhat common, but PLII and NEO:6 don't seem to have appeared). As for the analog bypass on the 1050, you are exactly correct -- only the 5.1 input bypasses processing.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 319 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM