Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2885 - 09/25/02 08:47 PM 1050 pre-outs and signal clipping?
Chris Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: CA
I am really happy with my 1050. Currently, I am using it as a processor and sending 5 channels to an external amp (Parasound HCA-855a). Over the last few months, my Parasound has been going into 'protect mode' (current overload on all 5 channels). This never lasts for more than a few seconds and can happen within 35 seconds of turning the amp on, or not at all during a 3+ hour movie at near reference levels. My speakers are set to small and I have an powered sub. I am not sure how to tell if this is an amp problem, or a receiver problem. I am not over driving the amp (12x13x8 room, Paradigm Studio 20's). How can I tell if the signal being fed to the amp is the problem, or if it's just the amp, or possibly just an interconnect problem?
I suppose I could disconnect the amp and use just the receiver, but I am not sure if the internal amps will shut off when the signal 'clips', to protect the speakers. Thoughts?

#2886 - 09/26/02 09:58 AM Re: 1050 pre-outs and signal clipping?
BenjaminRigby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: McHenry, IL, USA
What kind of speakers do you have? It might be that the speakers have a lower impedance than the amp can handle. I was told to watch for that with my speakers and receiver. There will probably be someone to suggest other (better) ideas too.

#2887 - 09/26/02 10:14 AM Re: 1050 pre-outs and signal clipping?
BenjaminRigby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: McHenry, IL, USA
Oops, there it is Paradigm Studio 20s. (note to self: carefully read messages completely.) The Paradigm website says 8 ohm compatible, so that idea is out. They also take 15-150 Watts input. The amp outputs 85 Watts @ 8 ohms. Should be plenty. Are there any other speakers hooked up? What all is on this circuit line? Computer, AC, refrigerator? I'm not sure if that will help, but maybe someone else will know better.

[This message has been edited by BenjaminRigby (edited September 26, 2002).]

#2888 - 09/26/02 11:56 AM Re: 1050 pre-outs and signal clipping?
charlie Offline
Desperado

Could be a stray wire on a binding post causing an intermittent short on the outputs I suppose.

#2889 - 09/27/02 09:23 AM Re: 1050 pre-outs and signal clipping?
Chris Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

hmm, I've checked that before, but visibility is not good on the back of the amp I'll re-connect all of the speaker wires, see if it makes any difference. I have no idea what is sharing the circuit, throughout the house. Worst case would be fridge, 2 PC's (monitor on power saving mode), amp, dvd, SVS, TV and 1050.

#2890 - 09/27/02 07:13 PM Re: 1050 pre-outs and signal clipping?
Smart Little Lena Offline
Desperado

Loc: Dallas
Seems like I saw something regarding an incident with a Parasound and protect mode, last month, under other circumstances. No idea the model, I'll try to find it.

The fridge is a worse scenario worth the time/expense IMO, to remove to a separate breaker.
That's a pretty big draw, I'm still trying to understand our issue after having our main panel replaced (new) and a new separate subpanel on our 55 yr. old home (to add a 2-story garage). Even though we had the house AC removed to a dedicated line/breaker at that time; it can still dim lights in the house, when the compressor kicks in

#2891 - 09/27/02 10:49 PM Re: 1050 pre-outs and signal clipping?
Q-man Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: on the water
That's a pretty big draw, I'm still trying to understand our issue after having our main panel replaced (new) and a new separate subpanel on our 55 yr. old home (to add a 2-story garage). Even though we had the house AC removed to a dedicated line/breaker at that time; it can still dim lights in the house, when the compressor kicks in[/B][/QUOTE]

Lena, we were having the same problem. My father-in-law is a custom home builder, he had us upgrade the line from the power pole to the house and problem was solved. Since, we did this with a two year old house I'm sure this would be the place to look in a fifty year old house. The cost of the 100 feet of HUGE copper was $300-400 the electrician worked for him so I never saw that bill, but it took three of us two hours to pull/push it thru an underground conduit. That wire was extremely heavy.

His reasoning about why is that building practices haven't really caught up with the modern house's energy draw. Things like two zoned a/c, multiple TVs, whole house sound, computers, jacuzzi's, kitchens that are commercial grade, etc. running all at once outstrip the standard utility hook up line's ability to delivery enough power for the intial surge of compressors and such starting up. That is why you get a momentary brown out.

[This message has been edited by Q-man (edited September 27, 2002).]

#2892 - 09/29/02 09:30 PM Re: 1050 pre-outs and signal clipping?
Chris Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I reterminated all of my speaker connections (bare wire to binding post). So far, I have not been able to reproduce the problem (2 movies, numerous demos, 4 CD's and numerous tracks). Looks good so far, but I will have to give it a couple weeks to be sure (I hate intermittant problems!). Thanks for the advice everyone, I really should take the time to find out what equipment is running on what circuits.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM