Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2159 - 05/17/02 09:21 AM I've Decided (& Sourrounds/PLI Notes-)
Mayor D Offline
Gunslinger

Well, my 1050 arrived Friday, May 10th. Thanks to those of you who read and responded to my "I'm Researched Out - I Must Decide" post. As you know, I was torn between the 1050 & a Marantz SR5200. My decision was due to internet reviews, your feedback, and the reported ease of use of the 1050. I think the "M" brand is good, with a clean sound, but maybe a bit conservative, and overall not as spunky as the 1050 (I also ike being able to try different levels and settings during a program, without a screen menu popping up). I decided to take a risk and be an Outlaw! The drawback was no PLII or 6.1 DTS. After a week of use, here is my report: 1.) I decided to give PLI a try. I listen to a lot of TV and VHS (no DVD player yet), and I know PLII is recommended. But it's a matter of mono vs stereo in the L/R surrounds. I only had two stereo speakers before, so PLI with 5.1 had to be better. Once I got the speaker placement correct and the system dialed in, PLI is very satisfying. 2.) From what I've learned, the 1050 will deliver 6.1 in DTS and DTS-ES if I get a DVD player with DTS decoding, so I thought "OK, I can get around that situation". 3.) Most say that the "natural" mode is best for TV listening and even some VHS. What I did was spend a lot of time with a section of a VHS movie in the "Surround" PLI setting. At a comfortable volume in the L/R fronts, I then dialed in the center front, relative to the L/R fronts, with the trim control (right now at 0db). Then came the L/R sourrounds. They ended up at +3db. My sub is at 1/2 volume (12 o'clock), with the Outlaw sub setting at +6db. Now, for TV - I find I still like the "Surround" setting the best ("Natural" is OK, and I'll probably go to it once in a while, depending on the broadcast signal). But what I've been doing with TV is simply adjust my VHS movie setting. With the trim controls, I drop the center front to -2db, the surrounds up to +9db, and the sub up to +8db. It sounds great. So, I can watch a movie or TV in the same mode (surround), and only adjust the trim controls accordingly) I haven't spent much time with CD yet, but what I've listened to is excellent. So - until I get a DVD player, which is when I'm trusting the 1050 to outperform the "M" brand, I'm very happy with PLI. So, for those of you who might be as torn as I was between PLII and other features and brands, I hope this helps. I took into consideration, the expected overall performance for the long haul - and I chose the 1050. I'm happy. And the power and sound is not conservative. It's powerful and true. I'm glad to an Outlaw! Mayor D.

#2160 - 05/17/02 09:36 AM Re: I've Decided (& Sourrounds/PLI Notes-)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Great post, Mayor D! Thanks for reporting all of this, and I'm glad to hear that your 1050 is working so well for you.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#2161 - 05/17/02 10:12 AM Re: I've Decided (& Sourrounds/PLI Notes-)
JasonA Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Marion, Iowa
Mayor D,

I've got a DVD player for you to consider - the Panasonic DVD-RA60 ($179 at Circuit City). It's got about everything a person could ever need in a player (aside from progressive scan and SACD). The key for you is that it's got a DTS decoder built-in. (I assume you want to run the analog outputs into the 1050 so you can extract the 6th channel?)

I've been quite impressed with mine so far. I haven't used the DVD-A yet, so I can't comment on it's quality, but I would guess it's pretty good.

Just my 2¢
Jason

------------------

#2162 - 05/17/02 10:18 AM Re: I've Decided (& Sourrounds/PLI Notes-)
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Jason

What a coincidence! I just got an RA60 this week ($179 from jandr.com). So far it's been great -- and the DVD-Audio sounds very good. (It's even on my DVD player chart .) From what I've seen and heard from it so far, I'll second your recommendation.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#2163 - 05/17/02 12:48 PM Re: I've Decided (& Sourrounds/PLI Notes-)
Mayor D Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk & JasonA: Thanks for the quick replies and the DVD advice. I began research on a JVC - I think it's XV-F85 something...but it's much more $ than the Panasonic. I'll check it out. Good news! Mayor D.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 227 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM