Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#344 - 11/14/01 01:08 AM DPL II
moparmark Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX USA
Hi ya'll first time poster. I Don't know if I'm worthy to post as I am not a Outlaw owner yet! I plan to be in the near future.

My question is, we watch a lot of Tv.
Mostly sports, Drag racing, Nascar, you know (Crank it up) and Football.

I would really like to purchase a 1050.
I'd much rather support the little guy,
instead of the mass musketeer's.

Also listen to the radio and older cd's.
How much would it hurt not to have DPLII?

Thanks in advance

MARK.

#345 - 11/14/01 01:47 AM Re: DPL II
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
Well, you didn't mention how much time you invest in movies! I think that's where you would miss it. If you aren't a big movie buff who needs the surround environment to be truly happy (like many of us!), you probably will never miss it.

However, if you have a great HT, or plan to, and it's in your budget, get the DPL II.

#346 - 11/14/01 11:14 PM Re: DPL II
Tommyboy_MSU Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Before I bought this unit I had a Harman Kardon AVR 120, which had DPL 2. The sound is great! The 1050 in natural mode sounds almost as good, but the 1050 is a better deal. I didn't have the time or money for the 950. Who knows what I will do next year though. LOL!

#347 - 11/14/01 11:35 PM Re: DPL II
moparmark Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Austin, TX USA
Thanks for responding OWL. I will be watching
movies, but are you saying movies on TV, or
dvd? to answer that it will be both.

And I will be venturing into HT.
This is major, because as we know the 1050
doesn't have DPLII.

Thanks MARK.

#348 - 11/15/01 07:57 AM Re: DPL II
billmlevine Offline
Gunslinger

I'm not sure I understand OWL. He (?) is a stout enjoyer of the 1050 - yet recommends PL2 - and the 1050 doesn't have PL2!

?

For myself, I'd rather and have the clear and crisp sound of the 1050 that I've heard in my friend's house than some 'gimmick.'

#349 - 11/15/01 01:12 PM Re: DPL II
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
I read the post here and realized that I had no real idea as to what DPL II was really about, other than it was 'new and improved.' After being a victim of 'New Coke,' that statement doesn't hold water with me often. I guess I'm a bit skeptical. So I did some searching and found this site:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_1/dolby-prologic2-3-2001.html

It reviewed the concept of DPL and the changes in the implementation of DPL II. I found it all to be a pretty interesting read, if not long. The second part of the review was on a specific processor, but some of the info there was interesting too.

I personally don't know if I consider it a huge loss, considering the price alone of the 1050. My TV tastes do indeed migrate toward sporting events and the 'Natural' mode on the 1050 is the DSP mode of choice for me. When watching a race, cars do go from left to right, but commentators stay in the middle. Sitcoms also do fairly well in this environment. It seems that DPL II could indeed be a large boost to this, but without listening to it, I would hate to be a proponent, just because its new. The technology seems good, but with occasionally poor reception from cable or satellite, I don't know if its that important. My only thought is bang per buck with my own system. For me, the 1050 is a great deal, even though I am running it as a processor, not a receiver. The 950 might be in the budget in a year or so, but not today. My music preference is still stereo for now.

The 1050 is a 100% solid buy. From the past performance of Outlaw, I think the 950 and 770 combo is also going to be a great bargain for those in the separates market.

In my mind, the answer goes to budget: If you would enjoy the investment in separates, go for the 950 combo. Its less expensive than many others and will still have the 30 day money back guarantee. If you are wanting to do it all in steps, the 1050 is a solid starting point for real home theater, and also has the 30 day option. Having owned 3 receivers around the same price point as the 1050, it has, without question, blown them away in stereo, Dolby Digital, DTS and I prefer the ‘Natural’ mode to the original Pro-Logic.

Hope the web link helps with some 'real' non-opinionated answers. I guess I'm just a fan of the 1050.

S.

#350 - 11/15/01 03:52 PM Re: DPL II
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Good link, MrSandman. I tend to agree about the absence of DPL2 on the 1050. DPL2 may be really nice, but for the price the 1050 is hard to beat. It can be an effective way to build up to bigger things if you want to eventually have a high-end separates system but don't have the cash to drop on everything at once. As for music, the 1050 sounds nice enough just on two speakers that I'm quite content.

#351 - 11/16/01 01:58 AM Re: DPL II
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
First, thanks to Sandman for the link! Everything I had read only talked about PLII in relation to movies, nothing about music.

Now as for billmlevine's query. I apologize for the short posting I left. Perhaps had I been more eloquent then, you would better understand my position.

Yes, I do own a 1050 and I do love it. I'm very pleased and won't be needing to upgrade anytime soon. The reason I own a 1050 is because it was in my budget. I didn't (and still don't) have the funds available for separates, although I would prefer them. While I'm at it, I'd also prefer a set of VR975's to add on to my Bostons and convert my current front surrounds to rears for a nice 7.1 setup, but that's another story.

What I was trying to say, is that if you're planning on buying from Outlaw, have the patience of a stone (just funnin ya Outlaws! I'd rather a good product late than a shoddy one on time!), and your budget allows it, I think the 950/770 combo is the way to go. But if you want instant gratification, and aren't worried about separates, DPL II, or the host of other features the 950 offers (like multiple crossover freqs), then the 1050 should more than fit the bill. I don't think I've run in to anyone yet, here or in the real world, that isn't happy with their 1050.

Like I said, if I had not replied in such haste last time (was working on being late for my night class!) I think my position would have been a little clearer. Sorry for the confusion!

Also, and someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one, I believe that PLII has been in effect in the theaters since it was first used on Phantom Menace. Anybody who saw that in a "good" theater (like the Cinerama here in Seattle) knows that PLII is more than just a gimmick. In the event I'm mistaken about the use of DPLII on Episode 1, I'll apologize now and say in defense, they did a hell of a mixing job on that! One of the main reasons I kept going back for "just one more" viewing was the fantastic sound!

Oh, by the way billmlevine, yes, I am a he! lol...

Thanks for reading, folks!

#352 - 11/16/01 08:44 AM Re: DPL II
billmlevine Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the 'clarification'

+++++++++

"Oh, by the way billmlevine, yes, I am a he! lol..."

'Profiling' on HT forums would almost dictate that - but anyone noticed any of the 'ladyfolk' posting on these kinds of forums?

#353 - 11/30/01 06:55 PM Re: DPL II
Jeff Aguilar Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Olympia, WA USA
Owl's_Warder,

I think that you meant to say that "TPM" was in Dolby Digital EX not PLII. DDEX adds the rear center channel. PLII gives you a stereo rear channel instead of mono like Pro Logic.

Jeff Aguilar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 227 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM