I have an old DVD player, a Sony DVP-S560D. At the layer change, there is a delay, and my 950 loses the digital audio signal. As a result, the on-screen display comes up. I’ve read some of the archived posts, and know that I could set the 950 to lock on the signal, but I find that turning off the OSD is the easiest current solution.

I am planning on purchasing a new DVD player. One of the most important features that I am looking for is a layer change that won’t cause my 950 to lose the signal. I would also prefer DVI and/or HDMI. I was very excited about the Denon DVD-1910. It has DVI out and is under $250. According to hometheaterhifi.com, it fails their layer change test, taking 2 seconds. Does anyone own the 1910, and does the 950 stay locked on the audio through the layer change?

Is buffer size the key determinant in the layer change delay? I have been unable to find out the size of the Sony’s buffer. The Denon 1910 has 2MB. According to hometheaterhifi.com, the Denon 2200 and 2900 have zero delay, but they lack digital out, these two units have 8MB buffers. The Denon 3910 is considerably more than I want to spend, has an 8MB buffer, and according to hometheaterhifi.com makes the layer change in a ½ second. The Denon 2910 has DVI and HDMI output and an 8MB buffer. Does anyone have this player, and how does the 950 react to it?

I understand that the more expensive players are universal players, and that the 2900 has a Silicon Image deinterlacers, while the 1910 has a different Faroudja than the 2910 and the 3910.

Thanks
-Scott